Next year's OUA football schedule was released Dec. 4. (File photo)

Carleton’s first regular season varsity football game in nearly 15 years will be played on the road against the Western Mustangs.

The 2013 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) football schedule was released Dec. 4 and as expected, it featured the addition of the reborn Carleton Ravens.

A bye in week one, which was requested by the coaching staff, means the Ravens’ first game will take place on Labour Day.

It will be a homecoming for the likes of receiver Nate Behar (who was heavily recruited by the Mustangs), linemen Eric Fowler and Dylan Shervill, and quarterback Tyler Callahan, who each played high school football in London, Ont.

The Ravens’ home opener will be Sept. 7 against the Waterloo Warriors, who finished in the basement of the OUA for the second straight season, while the Ravens’ lone meeting with the rival Gee-Gees will take place Oct. 5 at the University of Ottawa’s new Lees Avenue football field.

Ottawa holds a 31-13 all-time edge in the historic cross-town rivalry. The annual Panda Game, which dates back to 1955, is expected to be renewed in 2014 once the construction of the new Lansdowne Park stadium is complete.

The Ravens will play a total of eight games in the regular season. They will meet every team except the Laurier Golden Hawks and Queen’s Gaels.

Carleton’s last football game was a 23-13 loss to McGill on Oct. 31, 1998.

Training camp is expected to get underway Aug. 15, 2013.