Killing Them Softly
Directed by Andrew Dominik
The Weinstein Co.

Killing Them Softly is one of those interesting films to evaluate. In many ways it is a traditional crime film, maintaining a number of the conventions that comprise the genre. But at the same time, it is able to consistently undermine the audiences’ expectations at every turn. What is left is a film that manages varying levels of success with these contradictory efforts, yet is consistently captivating to watch.

The plot is driven by traditional genre circumstances. Two men are hired to rob a high stakes underground poker game. Everyone present on the night in question, including the robbers, knows that Markie, the man running the game, has previously knocked over his own match. Markie was offered a pass the first time around, but is well aware that won’t happen a second time. Eventually Jackie Cogan (Brad Pitt), is called in by the mafia heads to wrap up the loose ends.

These opening scenes are easily the strongest in the film. There is an overwhelming sense of unpredictability in the opening, and the robbery is incredibly tense. One of the things that stands out prominently early on is the films sense of humour. The characters are all full of bizarre quirks, and writer/director Andrew Dominik takes full of advantage of this in his script — the dialogue had a surprising number of laughs.

All of the characters involved in the story seem to be aware of each other, and there is noticeable emphasis on creating a distinct feeling of community. Characters are mentioned that never appear on screen, and everyone has a far-reaching past. The audience does not have it all neatly laid out for them, but you never feel lost. It’s this fine balance that Killing Them Softly manages with its universe that makes itself intriguing.

With so much violence and action playing out in the narrative, it can be quite easy to overlook the acting in crime films. It is certainly one of the stand-out elements here, with seemingly everyone delivering. Ray Liotta and James Gandolfini totally play against type, making it easy to forget the respective mob characters that they are so synonymous with. Brad Pitt provides another serviceable lead that, if not at all a stretch for him, really plays to his strengths. The entire cast is filled of minor roles of recognizable faces from the genre.

The thing that separates this film from its counterparts is that way it treats its characters. Unlike other films in the genre, Killing Them Softly seems to feel no responsibility to any of them. Nobody in this universe feels more sympathetic than anyone else, and the majority seem to have broken lives. This is definitely not a glamourized depiction of criminal life.

With its stylized violence and deplorable characters, Killing Them Softly is not a film that will create affection for an audience that is not already inclined to appreciate it. Although it rarely reaches the bar that Scorsese and Tarantino have set before it, it’s hard to imagine that the film won’t be appreciated by previous fans of the genre.