Coming off the emotional high of last weekend’s inaugural game at Keith Harris Stadium, the Carleton Ravens football team were denied in their quest for their first win of the season, falling 44-14 to the Lancers Sept. 14 in Windsor.

In a physical contest in perfect football conditions, the scariest moment came when the Ravens’ starting quarterback Jesse Mills fell victim to a violent collision midway through the second quarter. He stayed down on the turf and had to be helped off the field.

Despite not playing another down, head coach Steve Sumarah said Mills should be ready for the homecoming game, but was held out as a precaution.

Backup quarterback Nick Gorgichuk replaced his teammate and finished the game under centre, and performed admirably, Sumarah said.

“We have two good quarterbacks in Nick and Jesse so it gave an opportunity for Nick to play more. He came in and drove us down the field. He handled himself very well. He had great composure,” Sumarah said.

Marley Patterson and Keith Graham both ran for late scores for the Ravens, with Patterson scoring the program’s first road touchdown in 15 years.

Wide receiver Kyle Van Wynsberghe had yet another impressive game, catching the ball eight times and finished with over 100 yards receiving on the game.

Lancer Dylan Whitfield made up for the absence of fellow receiver and Ontario University Athletics (OUA) touchdown leader Evan Pszczonak by catching two passes in the end zone from quarterback Austin Kennedy. Windsor improved to 2-2 on the year.

Despite another high-scoring game by a Carleton opponent, Sumarah was optimistic about the way his team played.

“I thought there were opportunities we could’ve scored a few more points. They  have a very explosive offence, and I think we did a pretty good job containing them,” he said.

The Carleton defence pressured Windsor passer Kennedy often, sacking him four times, ending in an effort that defensive co-ordinator Ryan Bechmanis described as a team effort.

“All the guys are doing well, they’re doing their job,” Bechmanis said. “There were definitely some good plays and lots to build on.”

Linebacker Leon Cenerini, who finished the game with nine tackles and a forced fumble, can relate with his head coach.

“Today was probably the better game out of the three. Looking at the other games compared to this one, I think there’s a lot of improvements that are visible,” Cenerini said. “That’s credit to the coaches, credit to the players, we keep bringing it in practice, watching game film and everything like that.”

The Carleton offence was stymied not only by the Lancers defence, but by themselves on numerous occasions. The Ravens showed their youth by letting their undisciplined behaviour negate several long gains in the game.

“It’s a little bit of being slightly undisciplined. Figuring out what’s important and what isn’t and when you need to make that extra effort on the block or when you don’t. It’s all those little things that come into play,” Sumarah said.

The Ravens return to Ottawa for a week of practice before taking to the field against the York University Lions Sept. 21 in the homecoming game.