Defenceman Jason Seed said he decided to go back to his Ottawa roots. (Photo by Amy Yee)

With the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team losing three defencemen to graduation last year, new recruits had to be obtained.

One of the new additions to their upcoming 2013-14 season roster is defenceman and Ottawa native Jason Seed.

The six-foot-one, 175 pound Seed said he decided to go back to his roots, as he was born and raised in Ottawa.

But that is not Seed’s only reason for committing to Carleton.

“Just the reputation of Carleton and their hockey team,” Seed said. “They’re getting better and better every year.”

Prior to committing to Carleton, Seed said he played for the Summerside Western Capitals in the Maritime Junior Hockey League. While playing with the Western Capitals, they made a deep run for the Royal Bank Cup.

Seed described himself as a puck-moving defenceman and said he plans to “do [his] job in the back end and get the puck to the forwards.”

Before playing for Summerside, Seed spent four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the Saint John Sea Dogs and the Gatineau Olympiques, according to hockeydb.com, an internet hockey database.

According to the Quebec league’s website, he played a total of 186 regular season games, accumulating three goals and 24 assists for a total of 27 points, finishing with a plus-minus of 17.

Seed said playing in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) will be different for him, as the league is primarily faster, and has older athletes than the junior leagues.

“It will be an adjustment, but I’m looking forward to playing,” Seed said.

Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said he hopes Seed’s skating will help the team offensively.

“His character was something we looked at,” Johnston said. “He was someone we wanted to be on campus with us.”

His new teammate, third-year defenceman Matt Stanisz, said he is confident Seed will be able to play at the OUA level.

“There’s a reason Marty brought him,” Stanisz said. “He’s definitely going to be an asset and going to help out on the back end.”

The Ravens begin their preseason schedule in New Brunswick Sept. 27 when they take on the University of New Brunswick Varsity Reds.