The Carleton Raven's football team faceoff against Queen's Gaels on Saturday, Sept. 18, 2021 at the Ravens Perch in Ottawa, Ont [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton University Ravens recovered from a slow start and outmatched the York University Lions to win 35-14 on Sept. 10 at TAAG Park.

Early on in the game, the Ravens struggled to move the ball and their defence gave up big plays in the run game. They also recorded multiple holding penalties which negated big gains and extended their opponent’s drives.

Head coach Corey Grant was proud of how his side played but knows they can still improve. The team must be “more disciplined to win big games,” Grant said.

On their first scoring chance, Ravens’ kicker Brandon Forcier missed a 37-yard field goal, but an offside penalty gave the Ravens another opportunity. Instead of taking a shorter field goal, the Ravens elected to attempt a third-and-three but were unsuccessful.

The Lions’ run game started heating up with multiple runs from Melchis Ilunga. Their drive ended with a missed 35-yard field goal, resulting in a rouge.

The Ravens responded with a long screen pass to wide receiver Kaseem Ferdinand, which set up a 42-yard field goal attempt. Forcier missed again and Lions’ Matt Vasos scored a 105-yard touchdown. The extra point was blocked, but York had all the momentum and a 7-0 lead. 

Suddenly, a switch flipped for the Ravens going into the second quarter.

Grant said there was no message to motivate the team after the slow first quarter. His focus that week had been to prepare for the game and what they had to do on all three sides of the ball to win.

“There are three phases in football and we’re all working together,” Grant said.

A long, low punt from Ravens’ punter Vincent Plouffe forced the Lions’ returner back to his endzone. The returner bobbled the punt and Shaheem Charles-Brown recovered the ball in the endzone to tie the game.

It was all Carleton after that. They would score another four touchdowns before the first half ended, three within 100 seconds of each other.

The Ravens’ defence shut out the Lions’ run game and forced them to become one-dimensional. 

Special teams had a productive day for the Ravens as well, achieving a punt return touchdown, a recovery from a fumble that led to a touchdown and two blocked punts. 

Grant believes the special teams unit made the difference. He credited his colleagues and said, “they [have] been doing a good job putting the players in positions to make big plays to take over games.”

Ferdinand agreed.

“Anytime the defence or special teams can get us some extra points, it’s great. It gives us time to catch our breath, and takes some pressure off the offence,” Ferdinand said.

A few drives later, the Ravens blocked a Lions’ punt. The next play saw quarterback Tanner DeJong throw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Ferdinand to give the Ravens a 14-7 lead.

Ferdinand credited his touchdown catch to the strong connection he’s been building with DeJong.

“We’ve been working really hard to keep that connection going so we can develop more chemistry and get even better,” Ferdinand said. 

Moments after the Ravens’ touchdown, Christopher Toupin forced a Lions’ punt with a sack. Defensive back Denny Ferdinand, brother of Kaseem Ferdinand, returned the punt for a 57-yard touchdown to give the Ravens a 21-7 lead with less than two minutes in the first half.

36 seconds later, the Ravens’ defence stepped up. Defensive back Eljames Aiguomudu picked off Craney and returned a 41-yard touchdown to extend the Ravens’ lead to 28-7.

After Craney threw another interception in the red zone, DeJong passed to a wide-open Frederick Hachey who ran 75 yards for a touchdown.

The match also contained a record-setting moment. Both Denny and Kaseem scored touchdowns in the same game—the first time two brothers have done so in Carleton history.

“It means a lot. We’ve been putting in a lot of work and training really hard, so to hold that record is awesome,” Kaseem said.

The Lions scored again late in the third quarter, with a four yard touchdown pass from Craney to Isaiah Edwards, which cut the lead 35-14.

The Ravens’ special teams continued to dominate with another blocked punt touchdown to propel them to a 45-14 win. 

Both coaches agreed to end the game with eight minutes left after a serious injury to a York player. Carleton still recorded the win and will play the University of Ottawa on Oct. 1.

Featured image by Spencer Colby