Van Wynsberghe cracked the top 50 out of a pool of hundreds of athletes. (Photo by Ferdous Shamaun)

After completing his first season of university football, Kyle Van Wynsberghe is looking forward to the next chapter in his football career—playing for the Canadian Junior National Team.

The Carleton Ravens wide receiver is one of an elite group of Canadian football players chosen to compete with the Junior National Team, according to the team’s head coach Warren Craney.

Hundreds of athletes were invited to initial tryouts across Canada. This group was then whittled down to an overall top 50.

The team will be travelling to Texas in February for a final training camp before playing the United States in a friendly game, Craney said.

“When you’re doing something like this, you have to build a team in 10 days. You’re going to need some character kids in order to succeed,” he said.

Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah said he believes Van Wynsberghe is one of those players.

“He has a passion for the game, and always wants to get better. He’s such a hard-working guy,” he said.

Sumarah said he anticipates Van Wynsberghe will be a major contributor to Team Canada, both on and off the field.

“He’s had a year of university experience under his belt, he’s played at the highest level of amateur football, and now he’s going to take those skills to the national team,” Sumarah said. “I think that’s the first thing they’re going to recognize, how much of a leader he is, and how good he’s going to be for their program.”

Craney also spoke at length of the benefit of Van Wynsberghe’s football experience at Carleton.

“Comparing a kid who’s gone through a university campaign with strength and conditioning programs and playbooks and tactics, he’s at a definite advantage over a kid in high school,” he said. “On top of that, its not like Kyle is a run-of–the-mill CIS football player, he was one of the top receivers in the OUA last year, being a rookie. He’s a heck of an athlete.”

Despite the pressure that comes with such high expectations, Van Wynsberghe said he needs to remain level-headed and focus on the game.

“When I saw I made the team, I was ecstatic. But now it’s getting into the preparation and nerves phase because it’s a week away. I want to start and play, I want to win, I’m focused,” Van Wynsberghe said.

He said although he is grateful for the chance to gain exposure, the upcoming experience represents more for his future than just an opportunity to showcase his skills at a high level of competition.

“I get to be a sponge for a week and take in points from other coaches. Realistically I want to represent my country well, but I’m playing for Team Canada for one year, and I’ll be playing for Carleton for four more,” Van Wynsberghe said.  “If I can get better, then I can come back better, and hopefully win a Yates Cup for Carleton.”

Sumarah said this kind of team-orientated loyalty is reciprocated towards Van Wynsberghe by the other Ravens.

“They’re proud to know that one of their own is playing and representing the country. They want to see him play well and dominate,” he said.

However, Craney said the journey is far from over after the game in Texas. The group will be further reduced to a final roster of 45, who will represent Canada at the world under-19 championships this summer.

It’s the first time this tournament will be held outside of the United States. The national junior team will travel to Italy for an eight-day training camp before flying to Kuwait for the championship, Craney said.

Sumarah said he thinks this will be one of the most memorable moments in Van Wynsberghe’s career.

“This is an opportunity you get once in a lifetime. It’s one of those moments he’s going to be drawing on not just next year, but for the rest of his career,” Sumarah said.