Dimitri Vaillancourt is a wide receiver from St. Francis Xavier Catholic High School. (Photo by Matt Hegmann)

The Carleton Ravens football team will have more local talent on the field next season as Dimitri Vaillancourt, a wide receiver from St. Francis Xavier Catholic High School, has committed to the program.

“I’ve always kind of looked up to Carleton . . . I’m really familiar with the area and my family won’t have to travel far to see me play,” Vaillancourt said. “They also have a growing football program and I know a lot of the guys on the team. I feel a part of it already.”

Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah said his coaching staff has emphasized the importance of getting elite local recruits.

“Our goal year in and year out is to get the top recruits from the Ottawa area,” he said. “I think it’s pretty obvious Dimitri is one of those top five kids in this city, and getting a player like him solidifies that we’re doing a good job in this area.”

He said Vaillancourt has the ability to step in and provide an impact right away, particularly on special teams.

“He has the ability to be a game-changer on special teams, and with his speed and elusiveness on offence, he could definitely be a dual threat for us.”

Vaillancourt said he is looking forward to playing on such a young team where he will get an opportunity to step in right away.

He said he is excited to fit in whatever role the team wants him to fill.

“I think I can help out on special teams because that’s one of my favourite things, and I can use my speed to help out at the slotback position,” he said. “I feel my speed will be able to help out the team because you never know what you can get from a small, fast guy.”

Vaillancourt stands at 5-11 and about 160 pounds. He said while he may be small by football standards, he uses people who write him off due to size as motivation.

With players like Vaillancourt as part of this year’s recruiting class, Sumarah said the new players would help the team right away next season.

“I think so far, we’ve put together a pretty darn good class,” he said. “I’ve said since this whole thing began, it takes three really good recruiting classes to compete. We’ve got two under our belt, and they should help the team do better going forward.”

Vaillancourt said he is looking forward to helping the Ravens improve upon their 0-8 season and be part of the team’s historic first win since the football program’s revival.

“We’re definitely going to work hard towards that first win,” he said. “I really want to build a strong bond with the team. Football is a team sport and it takes all 12 men to complete their jobs so the team can be successful.”