Unless you’re a long-distance student, or have an extremely poor attendance record, you’ve undoubtedly noticed the hulking mass of construction which has loomed over the Steacie Building for the past year and a half. If either of the aforementioned categories do apply to you: meet the Health Science Building.

The Charlatan reviewed university documents about the building and talked to Darryl Boyce, Carleton vice-president (facilities management and planning), to answer some questions about the new building.

Here are seven things to know about what’s happened so far, what has yet to be done, and what Carleton has planned for the new building going forward.

What’s it for, and what will go into it when it’s done?

The building is intended to house the departments of neuroscience and health science. In addition, the Health Science Building will include several laboratories, a 340-seat lecture room (open to all faculties), and an animal holding facility.

What still has to be done?

The building’s exterior is approaching completion. Inside, the flooring, ceilings, electrical wiring, and ventilation are currently being set up. The last part of the building to be put into operation will be the animal holding facility, however focus on this will be postponed until the building is closer to being ready for use.

When will it be done?

Construction on the building has been underway since its July 2015 announcement, and is projected to be finished by August 2017. Departmental move-ins will begin in August and run through September, while the animal holding centre will be finalized in December. It is anticipated that the building will be classroom-ready by January 2018.

How much is it costing and where is the money coming from?

Though the initial cost for the building was estimated at $45 million, the building’s budget was raised to $52 million in order to accommodate unseen adjustments, such as additional flooring, as well as a link bridging the building to the Steacie Building via the tunnels. The building’s construction has been fully funded by the university.

How environmentally friendly will the building be?

The Health Science Building is designated to be environmentally friendly, and is expected to reach a near perfect score in accordance with the Green Globes rating system. The university has invested additional research funding into examining how to reduce excess energy consumption and optimize efficiency within the building’s framework, and will be relying on the latest technology in order to do so.

How does it impact the university’s Master Plan?

The Health Science Building will be the first building to be built on a former parking lot. Eventually, an additional building for the Sprott School of Business will be built adjacent to the Architecture Building, and a courtyard is planned between these and neighbouring buildings, making it the main campus centre.

Additionally, it is hoped that the ability to manage operations within the Health Science Building through high-tech, ecologically-conscious means will help further insight into the creation of more sustainable buildings, thereby reducing potentially detrimental environmental effects that might accompany further development, as the university continues to grow and expand.