Tokyo Police Club Brooklyn, New York October 2015. Provided.

Fresh off the release of their two-part EP, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Radness, Newmarket indie-rock group Tokyo Police Club is currently on tour, with a show in Ottawa’s Centrepointe Theatre on Nov. 1. In the meantime, keyboardist Graham Wright discussed shawarma, skating, and nachos with The Charlatan.

The Charlatan (TC): You’re currently on the road with groups like The Elwins and Born Ruffians, tell me what that’s been like?

Graham Wright (GW): It’s so fun, man. We toured with Born Ruffians a few times back in the day. They were sort of our first Toronto band friend. There’s a venue in Toronto called The Silver Dollar, which is like this great, scuzzy little rock club. One of our first big Toronto gigs was one of their first big Toronto gigs, and they Myspace-ed us “we should do a show together.” The Elwins, we’ve known those guys since high school. It’s been awhile since we’ve done a “friends” tour, since you’ve got to pick bands that make sense for the tour. Very low on the priority list is “oh, are they your best buddies?”. . . The first day of this tour, we were in Winnipeg and I was sitting in a chair in the venue, and Andy from Born Ruffians walked by, and we just started talking and a couple of the other guys walk by. It was like at the office, with five guys standing around having a chat. I was like “oh man, I don’t have to get to know these people, I already know these people.” It’s much more casual and relaxing, it’s like taking this big fun buddy party on the road.

TC: When somebody says to you guys “you’ve got a show coming up in Ottawa,” what’s your first reaction to hearing that?

GW: I’m going to get the best damn shawarma, and the best damn bagel, and a beavertail. I got my Ottawa spots all planned out. I know I have to pack a coat because I know it’s going to be horrifyingly cold. I’m interested this time because it’s another new venue. I will admit I’m not often inspired by the choices of rock ‘n’ roll venues in Ottawa. I miss Barrymore’s a lot. But this is new. This is different. I’m excited. Ottawa has always been really good.

TC: Any fun memories from playing shows out this way?

GW: I remember once we were here in the dead of winter. It was a nightmare it was so cold. But we were like “we can skate on the Rideau Canal, none of us have ever done that. It’s an amazing thing you can do in Canada, always heard about it, seen the pictures, we’re going to go!” We got up early in the morning, we got our skates, and I don’t know where we were or where we went, but we got to the most treacherous, unwelcoming, unreachable part of the canal, and we just stood in the blistering, horrifying wind looking down this steep icy hill, clutching our skates and decided “you know what, we’ll just do it some other time.” We still haven’t skated on it, so maybe this is the time.

TC: Who would be your dream tour mate?

GW: Man, good question. Born Ruffians were definitely up there. It would be bands that are fun to hang with on the road, like Said The Whale for example. Those guys are always a blast. It wouldn’t make sense anymore, but Arkells are one of the best bands to play with because you have to bring your A-game. They’re so incredibly consistent, they’re so good live. Back in the day, they opened for us a couple times. It’s easy to get complacent on the tour, you’re like “I can do it, I’m good at my job.” You don’t have to think too much or get too hype about it. Then I would watch Arkells and be like “aww, dammit, okay, gotta work it up, gotta really bring it tonight or else they’ll overshadow us.” You need that. Having a good opening band is really helpful in that regard. No offence to the other fabulous bands we’ve played with, but I really think Arkells, before they became a headlining band, were the greatest support band in the country.

TC: Do you have a favourite song off the records?

GW: It’s probably “Not My Girl” off part one. That just does it for me, it’s exactly the kind of song we do that I really like. It’s fun to play live.

TC: Looking at the title too, I can’t help but ask, is [Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness] your favourite Smashing Pumpkins record?

GW: I can’t lay claim to even having a favourite Pumpkins record, like my favourite Pumpkins record is their Greatest Hits. I’m a singles guy, never went deep on the albums. I believe Greg [Alsop, drummer] is the biggest Pumpkins fan, and that’s his favourite. But I might be wrong, I’m sorry Greg if I am.

TC: You touched on this a little earlier on how it’s been 10 years since A Lesson in Crime, I’m curious—what do you think 2006 Tokyo Police Club would say if they met you guys today?

GW: I think 2006 me would be stoked that we’re still doing it. I would be a little bit surprised that we weren’t way more famous. When I was 19 and didn’t know anything, I just kind of assumed that we would be huge and gigantic. That was never going to be true, as an independent rock band in 2006, that’s not really the trajectory there. I’m not disappointed, but if you gave all that information to me at once when I was 19, I might have been a little disappointed.

TC: How about in the next 10 years? Where do you see things going?

GW: If the last 10 years have taught me anything, it’s that I should not even guess. What I used to think about what my life was going to look like it was in the context of what I understood. It’s the music industry, like there’s a band I like maybe we could be like them. Maybe we get as far as they do, maybe even further. But that’s gone now. The music industry is different from one year to the next, let alone one decade to the next. So even the framework in which we exist is unknowable and ever-changing and changing faster and faster. So, I can’t even imagine what my options will look like in 10 years, let alone what I’ll be doing. But hopefully I’ll still be able to play the guitar. If me from the future materialized in my living room and was like “yeah, you can still play the guitar,” I think that would be enough.

TC: You guys open Tokyo Police Club: The Restaurant. What’s on the menu?

GW: I’m trying to think of what the most tour-friendly menu would be, having just got back from a month eating at restaurants three meals a day. Although I am not a vegetarian, some of our touring party members are. So there’d be some killer vegetarian dishes there. There’d be a salad that doesn’t suck total ass so you can eat healthy without just eating the house salad of doom at like, Jimmy’s Pub. There would be a small but carefully-selected assortment of craft beers and ales. Also a good nacho plate with a cheese wall and beneath that a pile of dry chips. Nachos are great band table food, but they gotta be done right.

This interview has been edited for clarity and length.