Carleton University’s School for Studies in Art and Culture: Music welcomed Korean musician Dong-Won Kim as its fall artist in-residence last week. Kim is a percussionist and a member of The Silk Road Ensemble, led by acclaimed cellist Yo-Yo Ma. He has studied many forms of traditional Korean percussion, according to the music department’s website.

This is not his first time as an artist-in-residence. Kim said he has completed residencies at the University of Toronto, University of Guelph, Wilfrid Laurier University, and The University of Paris VIII in the past.

“We decided to invite Dong-Won Kim because of his extraordinary level of musicianship and his experience as an educator,” said associate professor Jesse Stewart.

Kim said he has felt welcomed by Carleton students and staff.

“I am enjoying biking along Dow’s Lake and the Experimental Farm to school,” Kim said.

Kim said he was originally drawn to music as a university freshman in 1984, when he fell in love with traditional Korean percussion.

He said he was raised by his mother, who was very religious, and only allowed him to listen to Christian hymns and Western classical music.

“For a poor family, learning music was not an affordable thing to do,” Kim said.

He said he decided to seriously devote himself to learning and playing music during his time as a political prisoner.

In 1987, when South Korea was governed by a military dictatorship, a young man named Lee Seok-Gyu was killed by police during a pro-democracy protest, Kim said, adding that many Koreans were affected by the death.

“We, the Korean young students and good citizens, were so sad about the innocent loss and wanted to make a funeral ceremony for him in public,” Kim said.

He volunteered to play music for the ceremony. The funeral was interrupted by police and Kim said he was arrested.

“After beating and locking me up for few days, they proposed [to] me that if I write a letter of regret and apology to the prosecutor, they will set me free,” Kim said.

Kim said he refused because he didn’t want to dishonour the victim.

“More punishment followed, [I was] locked up in a four-by-six-foot square solitary room for [the] next two months, but I could keep my heart honourable,” he said. “Since having this experience, music became not only for showing myself to others, but also for sharing with others. Sharing my humble experiences [and] knowledge.”

Stewart said the response from students has been positive.

“I think the students were blown away by [Kim’s] masterclass,” he said. Along with the masterclass, Kim is also leading weekly workshops, lectures, and lessons in Korean rhythm, which are all open to the public.

Kim said performing is about more than just the music.

“I can’t agree more with what my friend, Yo-Yo Ma, said: ‘Empathy—that’s the entry point for any performing endeavour,’” Kim said.