Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty said the provincial government needs to focus on areas that create more jobs. (Photo courtesy of: Joshua Sherurcij)

Research projects at universities and hospitals are ending after the provincial government cut $66 million from research grants and loan programs, according to The Globe and Mail.

The government wants to put the money into other programs that have a better history of job creation, The Globe and Mail reported.

The cuts affect research programs like technology development and even health science.

Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty told the Toronto Star the decision wasn’t an easy one to make.

“We’ve entered into an era of slower growth for our economy. Our government expenditures must also mirror that,” McGuinty said. “We have to put an emphasis on those things we think most directly help grow the economy and create jobs.”

“There are some $200 million remaining by way of funds, at least, in these kinds of [grant] research supports for our colleges and universities,” he told the Star.

Elizabeth Whyte, president of Carleton’s Graduate Students’ Association (GSA), said she’s disappointed with the cuts.

“Our members are facing many financial challenges and these cuts only increase the financial burden of being a graduate student today in Ontario,” Whyte said.

Graduate students aren’t eligible for the Ontario students grant, being issued to each Ontario undergraduate student this year, Whyte added.

“During the tenure of the McGuinty Liberals, there has been an increase in the number of graduate students in our province. This demonstrates their understanding of our crucial role in innovation and economic development,” Whyte said. “We find it frustrating that the initial support of increasing enrolment is not met with the financial support necessary to allow us to focus on that work.”

“We hope that the provincial government will recognize the significant financial pressures experienced by graduate students and develop better research and operational funding for our work,” Whyte said.

The cuts may be especially shocking to some after McGuinty’s Liberals promised to use funding grants to attract international talent and increase the economy of the province during the election campaign trail in October 2011.

The government will also be making cuts to hospital research grants, totaling $66 million in cuts.