David Falconer will discuss the use of broadband systems in rural communities. (Provided)

David Falconer, a professor emeritus at the department of systems and computer engineering, has been chosen to be a fellow at the Wireless World Research Forum (WWRF).

The WWRF is a forum for the wireless community to tackle research challenges, according to their website.

The organization appoints fellows to recognize individuals for their accomplishments in the advancement of mobile and wireless technology, according to their website.

Falconer said he has been teaching at Carleton since 1980 on topics such as advanced cellular radio technology.

Falconer said Carleton’s systems and computer engineering department has made important contributions to the WWRF and the WWRF-affiliated WINNER, an initiative that works to improve radio transmission.

“Since the early 1990s, Carleton has been a fairly important contributor towards the current status of 4G cellular radio around the world, but the involvement with the WWRF and WINNER really cemented [Carleton’s] place in the world,” he said.

Falconer said WWRF fellows are important because they are involved in standards committees, which determine what cellphone systems of the future will be like and what is used to guide the cellular radio industry on a worldwide level.

“It’s important that everyone agrees on a certain set of rules for signals,” Falconer said.

He said that at the upcoming WWRF meeting he will discuss the use of broadband wireless communications systems in rural and remote communities, such as First Nations reservations.

“It’s a gratifying feeling to be involved and contribute to advanced futuristic things that will actually be used in real life, and we are quite proud of what we have accomplished and what we are continuing to accomplish,” he said.