Photo by Nicholas Galipeau

The Charlatan sat down with Carleton University student and emerging rapper Probably Raymond, and had a chat about his new single “@ Me.”

He discussed Internet culture, his journey as a rapper, and his “highly animated” sound which weaves together beats from different genres.

The Charlatan (TC): When did your journey as a rapper begin?

Probably Raymond (PR): As far as getting into the world of rap, you could say when I first heard “Move Bitch” by Ludacris in 2001 in the back of my mom’s green Toyota—I was hooked. As a rapper I would have to say . . . three-four years ago. By my second year of high school I had started making music but hadn’t been taking myself seriously until a friend told me he liked a remix I did to Childish Gambino’s “3005.” This led me to writing my first full original song “Popular” and from there, it’s more or less history.

TC: What inspired you to get into music?

PR: I always had a knack for music but there is a specific moment that pushed me to explore it as an actual art form. The first being in the fourth grade, when my music teacher requested I perform in the school talent show after hearing me sing in a music class. This inspired me to get into music because although I had always been into music, I had never seen myself as a musician. Now I want to be the world’s greatest rapper.

TC: What was the process of creating “@ Me”?

PR: When I first started writing “@ Me,” it was actually a feature verse for a friend and fellow artist—shout out to Justin Sharp, A.K.A. 7th Wonder. But it first started from a feature verse I had wrote a verse for but had not looked at for months. When I re-discovered it, I actually felt the verse would function better as a hook . . . I wanted to hear on an atmospheric trap sound so I hit up Nate J, a producer I had connected with before, and he sent over the beat. And I got the rest of the chorus from overhearing an argument between my friend Jay and Fran which essentially ended with Jay saying, “I bet you won’t.”

TC: Musically speaking, who are your biggest influences of all time?

PR: It’s a combination of Billy Joel, Kanye West, and Michael Jackson with Quincy Jones on production. If I were to narrow it down, it’s a close tie between Michael Jackson and Billy Joel.

TC: Out of all your contemporaries, who do you listen to the most?

PR: If we’re going by rappers who are just starting out much like myself, I’d have to say Apollo Jax. He’s a dope artist coming out of Columbus, Ohio. Artists in my age group who I appreciate are Kehlani and Chance The Rapper.

TC: Who’s your favourite artist in the game right now?

PR: Right now it’s Jazz Cartier, undeniably. Hotel Paranoia is such a sign of growth, not only for Jazz Cartier as an artist, but also for the city of Toronto and its hip-hop scene.

TC: What do you want listeners to receive from your music?

PR: With music, I always want to honestly connect with people and express how I feel in a way that others might not be able to but can connect to. This is always the goal.

TC: As an artist, where do you see yourself in a year? Three years? Ten years?

PR: In a year, I hope to be an artist that can’t be denied as a future threat in the music industry and a more versatile creative. In three years, I want to be considered one of the best out and have the XXL freshman cover under my sleeve, along with my first studio album, and one of my dream features. In 10 years, I want to be included in the top 10 rappers of all time debate.

TC: What are you working on now?

PR:I’m working on my first full length mixtape and few collaborations. I’m trying to put my best foot forward not only in music but writing and fashion too. I’m not allowed to speak a lot on it but I’ll say this here first, since it’s my first interview, the tape will be called Trash by Probably Raymond. Can’t say who’s hosting it yet.