Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

Third-year law student Arpita Dar said she believes her previous experience in a leadership position on campus will benefit her as she runs for president of CUSA.

Dar, the current vice-president (programming) with the Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA), is campaigning under the slate Real Leadership.

Dar said she was inspired to run in the CUSA election after seeing the difference she and her team were able to make during her two years as a RRRA vice-president.

“I saw the change that we caused there and we made a real difference in residence students’ lives,” she said.

“One of the biggest things [being vice-president (programming)] taught me was teamwork,” she added,

“Even though you have your challenges at times, I saw how I could work with two different executives,” she said. “Working with different dynamics . . . and working with them so well and just in such great harmony.”

Dar’s slate is running under the Real Leadership brand that ran in last year’s RRRA elections.

“I think we have put an amazing amount of leadership into an association that lacked it essentially and again, we want to do the same with CUSA,” Dar said.

If elected, Dar said Real Leadership promises to reform CUSA executive’s salaries by reducing and freezing them, and then re-investing the money into the various clubs, societies, and student services on campus.

Also on their list of campaign promises is to host more events during the school year that appeal to all students, themed Thirsty Thursday nights, and increasing funding for student issue campaigns, and increasing the transparency of the CUSA council.

Dar said they would also look to implement an Uber hub on campus, which would make it easier and safer for students on campus to be picked up and dropped off late at night.

“When you’re coming back late at night things can get a little risky and stuff, and students should definitely have somewhere safe to go,” she said.

If elected, Dar and her slate have also pledged to institute a fair hiring process across all CUSA businesses, including Rooster’s, Ollie’s, and Haven, which would involve the creation of an unbiased hiring committee.

Dar said even if this year’s elections result in a mixed slate, she would “still want there to be a great dynamic.”

“I’d want to work with anyone, whether it’s clubs and societies, student services—any of those,” she said, “to make sure that we have a unified CUSA.”

“Moving here three years ago, I didn’t know anyone, and Carleton has really become my home,” Dar said. “It’s where I live, where I study, where I work, and I really want to help my home live up to its full potential.”