Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

An active volunteer for his two years as a Carleton student, Abdullah Jaber said he was moved to run by a desire to represent the “diverse group of people that have given [him] so much.”

Currently in his third year of biology, Jaber said the primary goals of his slate Change are bringing more student jobs to campus, lowering tuition fees, and transparency in CUSA’s hiring processes.

“I’d like to ultimately bring fairness of opportunities in terms of student jobs. The way we would do that is simply by eliminating our right to hire people. We would get actual staff that are not students to do the hiring process,” Jaber said.

Jaber also said Change is committed to offering every student the opportunity to earn their CUSA fee back.

“We would like to return the hundred dollars or so that every undergraduate student pays by working with CUSA some way, particularly with the Street Team,” Jaber said, referencing CUSA’s events and promotion arm.

Jaber said he accepts CFS politics but favours more diplomatic lobbying efforts.

“I don’t think political views should get in the way of negotiations,” he said. “Ideally, if you want to have any type of movement the idea is you want your voice to be heard.”

“But I think everything needs to be negotiated in a calmer sense,” he said. “That’s the only way I think things will succeed, and the only way we can move on with that.”

Jaber said issues such as the lawsuit between CUSA and the Graduate Students’ Assocation (GSA) over the health plan would likely remain on the agenda.

“If we come to an agreement then yes, we can resolve this situation,” Jaber said. “The priority is the undergraduate students because this is an undergraduate election. However, we have absolutely no problem working with the GSA if it makes sense on both sides.”

Jaber said Change has proposed an off-campus meal plan to give students the most options possible. He said off-campus options could include restaurants at Sunnyside and the Glebe.

“The off-campus meal plan is something we’re working on, since Sunnyside has some good restaurants and it’s very convenient for students,” he said. “We’ll have to figure out the finances later, but we hope to move forward with the plan.”

Change is also promising support for a summer U-Pass and pushing access to Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) for international students, Jaber said.

Rounding out their platform is a commitment to reducing tuition through Board of Governors negotiations, reducing tuition subsidies for CUSA executives, and freezing executive salaries.

“The 20-plus ideas we have in store will turn this university around in the most fun possible way, the most professional possible way,” Jaber said. “Our option of giving back to the students is unbeatable.”