People dressed in the body suits began showing up around campus during exam season of the summer semester. (Provided)

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers have taken over Simon Fraser University’s campus, becoming the school’s new unofficial mascots.

A group in Power Rangers body suits are featured in a YouTube video posted Aug. 26, dancing around Simon Fraser’s campus in order to promote the university’s fall kickoff.

Christina Guan, a third-year communications student who also does social media for the school’s students’ association, the Simon Fraser Student Society (SFSS), came up with the idea to make the video which has since amassed over 3,000 views.

People dressed in the body suits began showing up around campus during exam season of the summer semester handing out candy and giving students words of encouragement, according to SFSS member services officer Moe Kopahi.

The Power Rangers were then used to create hype for the university’s frosh week finale concert, according to Kopahi. He added that the group represents a feeling of nostalgia for many students.

“For some people it creates the basic memories that they have from childhood and for many people, like I would say immigrants who have no clue who they are . . . it’s pretty cool to have more than just one mascot going around,” Kopahi said.

He said the Power Rangers would continue to have a presence on campus throughout the year.

The quickest way for the SFSS to reach students is through a mascot, and he said while they have considered using the Power Rangers for this official role, no decisions have been made yet.