The family of a murdered Yale student is suing the university for failing to protect women, according to Reuters.

Yale took “inadequate steps to ensure the safety and security of women on its campus,” the family’s lawyer told Reuters.

The 24-year-old medical student, Annie Le, was murdered Sept. 8, 2009.

Le was killed by one of the technicians, Raymond Clark, the International Business (IB) Times reported.
Le’s body was found shoved behind a wall in a laboratory building, according to USA Today.

Clark pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 44 years in prison, according to the IB Times.

“Annie was and will always be a wonderful person, by far a better person than I will ever be in my life,” Clark said after receiving his sentence, according to the Hartford Courant.

Clark had previously forced a former girlfriend to have sex, according to the New Haven Register.

New Haven, CT, the city Yale is located in, was listed as the fourth most dangerous city in the United States based on FBI crime statistics, according to The Atlantic magazine.

The magazine also had New Haven listed as the city with the fourth highest rate of assault in the U.S.

Yale has responded to the family’s lawsuit, stating there is “no basis” for the charge, according to USA Today.

The university added that “no reasonable security measures” could have prevented the attack,” according to the Yale Daily News.