TD Place, the home of Atlético Ottawa, is seen in the summer of 2020. [Photo from file]

On June 8, Ontario University Athletics (OUA) cancelled all programming and championships for the fall term of the 2020-21 academic year.

The association was not alone in this decision. On the same day, similar conclusions were reached by varsity sport organizations across Canada. 

Canada West cancelled conference competitions for the majority of its first-term sports, with a few exceptions for lower-contact sports pending a decision to be made in July. Atlantic University Sport cancelled all conference regular season and postseason competition for the fall term, and U Sport, the national brand, cancelled all six of its 2020 fall championships.

The only varsity sport organization in Canada that has yet to release a statement of cancellation is Réseau du sport étudiant du Québec (RSEQ). The organization’s last news statement, released on March 27, included the cancellation of all league activities and championships until June 30. 

From athletes to administrators, OUA’s announcement sent a wave of disappointment through the Carleton athletics community.

Included in the prohibition is the iconic Panda Game. Not only does the cancellation prevent players from performing, but it also prevents fans from engaging in school spirit. 

Vincent Plouffe, a member of Carleton’s varsity football team, said that despite the setback, he understands the rationale behind OUA’s decision.

“I would be lying saying nobody was sad or disappointed with the decision, but there are higher stakes,” he said. “We’re in a pandemic. Sport is not the first thing that comes to my mind. Health and overall safety for everyone should be the first thing.” 

Carleton varsity rowing team member Declan McCoy also approves of the decision but said he was frustrated.

“I’m a bit sad, especially because rowing is a sport that I think you could probably still compete in without coming into close contact, but I understand it has to be a bit more of a blanket policy,” he said.

Sophie Ehlebracht, of the women’s soccer team, said in a text that she sees the decision as a reminder for athletes to have empathy.

“This wasn’t a choice that was made easily by the OUA, so we should be understanding of the situation, do our part to protect vulnerable groups of people, and help ensure that other season sports can go on and that ours can go on next year,” she said.

However, in a flurry of Instagram comments, Ontario student athletes expressed feelings of frustration on OUA’s announcement post. Many were upset over the cancellation of varsity sports when professional sports will be returning to the court this fall.

President and CEO of OUA Gord Grace addressed this concern by explaining that the association simply does not have the financial feasibility to carry on, unlike some professional sports.

“Our budgets have already been harmed this year because of COVID, we just wouldn’t be able to do the things that the pros are doing,” he said.

Grace pointed to resources such as chartered flights, extra staff and surplus cleaning services, as pricey benefits the OUA cannot afford.

Despite the cancellation, Grace offered words of encouragement for the year ahead.

“Our goal is to try to get some sort of experience for all our student athletes in the 20-21 season.” 

Grace added he is optimistic that with the necessary protective measures being taken now, some sort of spring season may still be salvageable. 

Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s assistant vice-president of recreation and athletics, said she is focused on how to make in-person training a safe possibility for the fall. 

“I’ve not known a decision like this in my lifetime, in terms of cancelling all of OUA and U Sport championships,” she said.

Brenning added that Carleton’s return-to-training plan will include virtual and in-person procedures so that athletes can continue to be a part of the community no matter where they are based.

Jennie Wong, a player on Carleton’s women’s soccer team, is confident in her coach’s abilities to make the best of the unusual circumstances.

“We have a really creative coaching staff, so they may come up with things we’ve never heard of or thought of, so who knows quite what that’s going to look like,” she said.

Other decisions made to support student athletes include Carleton’s commitment to honour athletic scholarships, according to Brenning, and U Sport’s decision to omit this year as a year of eligibility for athletes whose championships they have cancelled.

Looking ahead to January and the possibility of a return to play, the question remains if sports will ever be the same. 

Brenning speculates that post-game handshakes could turn into elbow bumps or foot taps, Wong expects the first soccer games to be played without spectators, and Ehlebracht won’t be surprised to see temperature checks become a part of the regular pre-game routine.

Until then, Ehlebracht seemed to have a positive outlook on the semester to come.

“This is a great time to develop our skills and bond as a team — especially with the incoming first years coming in, it’s important to give them the experience they deserve/expected,” Ehlebracht wrote.

An earlier version of this article stated that the Panda Game has occurred every year since 1955. This does not account for the years between 1999-2013 when Carleton did not have a Football team. The Charlatan regrets the error.

Featured image from file.