Photo by Hanan Awata

The Canadian Tire Centre hosted We Day on Nov. 9, an event aimed at celebrating youth empowerment, diversity, and inclusion.

Several speakers, including Justin Trudeau and Gord Downie, addressed thousands of students and educators.

Jennifer Boyce, public relations coordinator for We Day, said the theme of this year’s event was “Canada 150” to mark “a partnership with the Canadian government to unroll some programs that are centered around Canadian youth, Canadian educators, and the year of action that youth should participate in to make Canada a better country overall.”

Throughout the event, several of the day’s speakers addressed the recent American election results.

The founder of We Day, Craig Kielburger, said in his opening speech that one of Canada’s greatest characteristic is “tearing down walls rather than building them,” a reference to Donald Trump’s intention to build a wall in America.

Prime Minister Trudeau called on youth to be “leaders of today”, and encouraged them to continue to pursue leadership roles in their communities and families.

“One thing that I’ve heard a lot from folks over the years, is that young people can be disconnected, or apathetic about the world. Or apathetic about politics.” Trudeau said to the crowd. “And I know that that’s not true.. . I know that a number of you probably stayed up a little late last night to watch some of the election [results] with your family. And I know that some of you might have had questions for your parents this morning.”

Trudeau assured the crowd that the relationship between Canada and the United States was “based on shared values, and shared hopes and dreams.”

“We will always work well together. We are strong because we listen to each other and we respect each other. And the fact is, we’ve heard clearly from Canadians and Americans, that people want a fair shot at success,” he said. “We share a purpose, our two countries, where we want to build places where the middle class and those working hard to join it, have a chance. We need governments focused on service. And that’s what we’re going to keep doing. . . I’m going to work with president-elect Trump’s administration as we move forward in a positive way for not just Canadians and Americans, but for the whole world.”