Voices for Palestine will feature student performers at the Rainbow Bistro on April 14, 2024. [Graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan]

WARNING: This article contains sensitive topics related to the ongoing conflict in Palestine. Those in need of support can contact the Mental Health Crisis Line: 613-722-6914 (within Ottawa) and 1-866-996-0991 (outside Ottawa), the Ottawa Distress Centre Crisis Line: 613-238-3311, or the Youth Services Bureau 24/7 Crisis Line: 613-260-2360 or 1-877-377-7775 (toll)

For Harrison Mees, a history student at the University of Ottawa and singer for whimsical rock band Out by Lucy, using the band’s platform to raise awareness about the ongoing conflict in Palestine is a responsibility. 

“We’re a band out of Ottawa, which I think makes us a little different from other independent music in this country,” Mees said. “Unlike bands in Toronto and other spots, the people who are most complicit in this genocide are a stone’s throw from my house.” 

To meaningfully support people in Gaza, Out by Lucy will join four fellow Ottawa musicians, including Hannah Vig and Hamza Maalal, for the upcoming Voices for Palestine concert at the Rainbow Bistro on April 14. 

All proceeds from the show will be donated to the Palestine Children’s Relief Fund (PCRF), which provides medical and humanitarian aid to children in Gaza and other regions. 

This aid comes at a time when Palestinian children face intense humanitarian need. According to the UN, the Israeli state has killed more than 12,300 children in Gaza and injured more than 11,682 children following the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attack.

According to UNICEF, “one in three children under two years [of age] are acutely malnourished” in the Gaza Strip as a result of the conflict. One million children have been displaced across the region. 

“The goal is a permanent ceasefire. But I don’t really have a lot of faith in our politicians to do that,” Vig, a third-year English student at uOttawa, said in an interview with the Charlatan

“I think what we can do now is provide aid, sending money [and] food to people in Gaza who are needing it. I think we need to do what we can as individuals and as a student collective, within our limits.”

Vig said Voices for Palestine attendees can expect her “usual dynamic, high-energy set.” [Photo by Kanae Bessho]

Shailee Shah, a Voices for Palestine co-organizer and fifth-year political science student at uOttawa, said the PCRF charity was selected following consultation with other activists. 

“The amount of children that are dying in Palestine is completely atrocious and definitely one of the most hard-hitting things to hear about with this genocide that’s going on right now,” she said. 

With the goal of supporting both the Ottawa community and “communities across the world,” Shah said Voices for Palestine is an accessible route for student activism. 

“This should be the easiest way and the simplest way that people who are attending can show up for Palestine,” Shah said. “To come, raise money and give their time and energy to this cause.” 

Voices for Palestine will also feature presentations from Independent Jewish Voices Ottawa, advocacy group Integrity Not Spite Against Falastin uOttawa and Dr. Yipeng Ge, a doctor suspended from uOttawa following his pro-Palestinian social media posts. Guest speaker presentations will be interwoven between musical sets. 

“Our perspective is to bring as many people out as we can. There’s going to be really educated people there and we’re going to just encourage donations,” said Julian Moreland, the drummer for Out by Lucy. 

Vig said Voices for Palestine attendees can expect her “usual dynamic, high-energy set.” 

“We’re not the main event of the night,” Vig added. “I want people to be listening to the speakers, like Dr. Yipeng Ge.” 

Maalal told the Charlatan his April 14 performance holds personal significance. [Photo provided by Hamza Maalal]

Maalal, a third-year political science student at uOttawa who goes by the stage name DJ Jamza, plans to infuse “Middle Eastern culture” into his Voices for Palestine set. 

“I’ll play Afro-house, North-African house and Arabic-house because I love these genres. And then probably get back to my usual self and play disco tech,” he said. “It’s an awesome opportunity. Especially when you have the chance to do something that you love for something you believe is important.” 

Maalal told the Charlatan his April 14 performance holds personal significance given his Moroccan heritage. 

“Morocco and Palestine have a huge connection and relationship. We actually love each other,” he said. “Morocco has always been a big ambassador for Palestine’s cause.” 

The event’s social and political importance is tangible for the student musicians. 

“All art is a product of the creator’s circumstances, political environment, everything,” Vig said. “Especially as a queer artist, it’s really hard to not care a lot about everything that’s happening to oppressed people and minorities.” 

While Out By Lucy doesn’t consider themselves “super vocal politically,” they said they believe the Voices for Palestine concert is a place to exercise “certain responsibility as the musicians of this city.” 

“I think that these organizers have basically given us an opportunity to use the audience we’ve built to do activism and good things,” Mees said. 

Daniel Jones, a Voices for Palestine co-organizer and second-year English and history student at uOttawa, said he hopes the event strengthens awareness and community. 

“Even if it’s only for a couple hours at a concert […]  I want people to walk away from the music venue and feel more connected to the people around them than before,” Jones said. 

Ultimately, the student musicians intend to utilize the powerful bonds of music and their Ottawa platform for activism at Voices for Palestine. 

“I think being a student in Ottawa especially, it’s really hard to not be aware of things. It’s very accessible to engage in protests. I think it should be for students,” Vig said. “We have a lot more power than we think we do, especially in numbers.” 

“You lead by example in everything you do, especially when it’s something important that relates to human lives and the respect for human integrity,” Maalal added. 

Tickets to Voices for Palestine, including donation tickets, are available here.

Featured graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan.