Students protesters and advocates for CUSA's divestment policy attend a CUSA annual members’ meeting on April, 8 2024. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) is calling on the university to divest from multiple companies for human rights reasons.

CUSA’s divestment policy stance passed with 20 votes in favour and one vote against at the association’s April 8 annual members’ meeting. 

The motion alleges Carleton is currently invested in multiple companies linked to Israeli settlements on occupied Palestinian territory. 

“Students’ money shouldn’t ever go towards causes that don’t align with CUSA’s values, which are human rights, dignity and respect,” Mohamed “Faris” Riazudden, the association’s president, said at the meeting. 

“What happens outside the bounds of Canada and [Carleton’s campus] may not affect us, but it affects our students and communities.”

The companies named in the motion are: 

• Alstom
  • Hapoalim
  • Bank Leumi LE Israel BM
  • Delek Logistics
  • Tripadvisor 
  • Oshkosh Corp.
  • Rolls-Royce Holdings 
  • L3Harris Technologies
  • Bombardier Inc.

The Charlatan reached out to each of the companies listed for comment but did not receive any responses in time for publication.

CUSA and Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) allege a leaked document from 2021 proves the university’s investment in the companies. 

“The document was presented to (CUSA’s university affairs) committee, which then verified the validity of the claims set out in the motion,” SJP told the Charlatan in an email.

The Charlatan was unable to obtain a copy of the document despite several attempts.

Steven Reid, the university’s media relations officer, did not respond to the Charlatan’s repeated questions about how much money the university is currently investing in these companies. 

The university’s statement also made no direct reference to CUSA’s call for divestment.

“Carleton University has had a responsible investing policy in place for over a decade,” Reid’s emailed statement read. “To remain a leader in [responsible investing] Carleton undertook a comprehensive review of its policies.

“The updates align with the university’s strategic priorities and its collective goal as a community to have a positive impact on the world, as outlined in Carleton’s Strategic Integrated Plan.”

Reid added Carleton has signed on to the Principles for Responsible Investing, a United Nations-backed commitment to incorporating environmental, social and corporate governance considerations in investment practices.

Nir Hagigi, president of Independent Jewish Voices Carleton and a second-year global and international studies student, said the university’s response is “frustrating.”

“We sure aren’t getting any information about any investments [Carleton is] holding,” Hagigi told the Charlatan. “[There is] a lack of co-operation from the university administration.”

Responses at the meeting

Councillors voted in the divestment motion through a secret ballot and also voted to destroy the ballots after they were counted.

In an unusual move, Riazudden told attendees four students would be allowed to speak about the divestment motion in front of council. 

Typically, non-councillor attendees do not have speaking rights during council meetings.

Two attendees who identified themselves as Jewish students against the motion expressed concerns about its relevance to the student body. 

“The fact that there wasn’t going to be public debate on this is incredibly upsetting,” one of the students said in front of CUSA council. “It concerns financing the school, and it is inherently divisive.

“It is, quite frankly, not the job of student unions to take stances on foreign policy.”

Riazudden said later that the policy went through “several iterations of review” and that it aligned with normal CUSA procedures.

“We, as students, have the right and responsibility to call out how the university spends money,” Riazudden said. “It’s not entirely a political stance — it’s a [directive] for the university.”

Riazudden also noted CUSA has previously called for human rights-driven divestments.

CUSA President Mohamed “Faris” Riazudden addresses students and CUSA councillors at an annual meeting on April, 8 2024. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]
In 1987, Carleton committed to divesting from apartheid rule in South Africa amid calls to action from CUSA.

More recently, the university divested from direct fossil fuel investments in 2022 after a Climate Action Carleton sit-in during a Board of Governors meeting. 

Hagigi, who also appeared in front of council at the members’ meeting, echoed Riazudden’s response.

“The motion was really simple,” Hagigi told the Charlatan. “It’s a good first step, but the fight is not over.

“There’s still so much work to be done.”

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter.