(Photos by Michel Ghanem)

Sunday night, Oct. 14, was the third and final night of Ottawa Fashion Week’s eighth season.

A definite highlight of the evening was Alice & Alishka, designed by Ontario College of Art and Design grad Alice Banks.  Banks’ background in textile design came through in her unique and abstract floral prints. Models walked down in flowy dresses, tailored pants and printed shorts. The soundtrack to the show, a Coeur de Pirate remix, added a sexy contrast to the feminine pieces.

Shweta Wahi, designer of Solace, presented a collection with clear eastern influences. The rich colours and textured fabrics brought to mind the wonderful world of Bollywood. Adding to the allure was the dramatic makeup, complete with gold leafed eyebrows and shining forehead jewels.

Instead of heading to the marketplace for the break, my fellow fashion friends and I managed to make it in to the VIP lounge, which meant tasty and free appetizers to tide us over until the next intermission. Plus, nothing says “fashion” quite like filling up on bite-sized food — everyone knows fashion people never eat.

After the break, it was time for some couture creations by Elena Hinke. Graced by the sound of Andrea Bocelli’s voice blasting through the speakers, Herieth Paul opened her second show of the weekend wearing a glamourous black strapless gown. Other looks included leopard prints and lace, along with bold hues of cobalt blue and striking red – a colour that popped up in more than once over the weekend.

Dare, led by designer Gwen Madiba, presented a collection of brightly coloured, body-con dresses, complete with spiked shoulders and thigh high slits, giving Angelina Jolie’s right leg some stiff competition. The collection was a celebration of women, and everything that makes us wonderful.

Before the last designer’s presentation, it was time for a break, and more delicious pastries with my fashionable friends. While stuffing our faces, we discussed the entire weekend up to that point, deciding what we liked and didn’t like. We were really looking forward to the last show too — we were told that designer Jeff Garner was going to be great.

As the lights brightened on the runway, a video began playing on the screen. It was a trailer for a documentary about Garner, which I took to be some pretty shameless self-promotion.

The collection itself was inspired by Grace Kelly, Princess of Monaco, but it seemed much too literal – there really was nothing new about sending models down in vintage silhouettes and Grace Kelly-inspired hairdos. Many of the pieces had no real structure, and often seemed too floppy in places in need of structure, like a corseted bodice with no boning.

The music was also fairly distracting, constantly switching from classic oldies recordings to a live band covering the oldies. This may have been a representation of the classy, royal Grace contrasted with the leading-lady, Hollywood Grace, but to me, it was just way too much.

Though the looks may not have been what I was expecting, there is something to be said of Garner’s use of eco-friendly and sustainable fabrics to create his garments. The fact that Garner is aware of the processes in which his fabrics are made is very commendable. His thoughts were in the right place, though the outcome was slightly blurred.

The night ended with a charity show for UNICEF Canada, featuring local Ottawa celebrities in the best looks of the entire weekend. There was also a special performance by Canadian Soprano, Measha Brueggergosman. The charity show was a fun and lighthearted way to wrap up the fashion-filled weekend.