Remembrance Day
Ottawa’s Remembrance Day ceremony took place at the National War Memorial on Friday, November 11, 2022. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

The comfortably warm weather made for a welcoming atmosphere Friday while thousands gathered at the National War Memorial as early as 8:30 a.m. to attend Ottawa’s Remembrance Day ceremony.

This Nov. 11 marked 80 years since the Canadian Army’s costly but invaluable raid at Dieppe, France, in 1942.

“As a former soldier, and being truly aware of the history and the service of the many men and women who served, it is an honour to be attending,” David Haase, who served as a military engineer, told the Charlatan.

Haase’s grandson, 13-year-old Mason Johnson, attended the Remembrance Day ceremony at Confederation Square for the first time this year.

“I want [my grandson] to be aware of the history, so he can appreciate the sacrifices that were made,” Haase added.

Following the veterans’ march and arrival of dignitaries, the National Youth Choir of Canada sang O Canada. A moment of silence at 11 a.m. was followed by four CF-18 Hornets flying over the ceremony.

Veterans, active servicemen and servicewomen and others took turns laying dozens of wreaths. One wreath, however, sat on display behind the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier the entire ceremony to honour the late Queen Elizabeth, who served in the Second World War prior to her coronation.

Those in uniform received cheers, applause and thanks while they marched by the memorial and along Wellington Street in unison. Afterward, onlookers placed their poppies on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

“I’m so proud to be a part of this group here today,” John Geen, a veteran who wore a forget-me-not flower pin, told the Charlatan.

Geen served with the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment before Newfoundland’s Confederation in 1949.

“Everyone is so enthusiastic about respecting the armed forces, and I feel quite proud to be part of this,” he said.

Meanwhile at Carleton University, the school’s choir graced the on-campus Remembrance Day ceremony by the flagpoles on Library Road. With a mixed crowd of cadets, special constables and university members in attendance, flags were raised to the tune of God Save the King.

Benoit-Antoine Bacon, Carleton’s president and vice-chancellor, said during the ceremony the Second World War had an immense impact on the university in the mid-20th century. He explained how Carleton was created in 1942 to serve the educational needs of soldiers returning home and “to help them find a positive way forward.”

Bacon added Canadians should never forget the courage of the men and women who ensured their peace and freedom today. He told the Charlatan he appreciated the number of students who attended the ceremony.

“[Remembrance Day] might be more important now than ever, given the [state of] current geopolitics,” he said. “I think we all need to reflect on what happened [in the Second World War], on what we had to do, where we are today and what we may be facing in the future.”

Featured image by Cassandra Bellefeuille.