Photo by Nicholas Galipeau.

As a society, we are getting more and more plugged in to technology, and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) fields are becoming more relied upon to solve the world’s problems. In the pursuit of a well-paid career after post-secondary education, students are going into this field.

STEM has long been a passion of mine. I’ve always gravitated towards math and science courses, and much less so towards classes such as English and arts. Don’t get me wrong—I’ve always liked writing, and I can appreciate a good piece of art, but I’m much better at solving a mathematical formula than I am at figuring out which colours blend together well.

However, despite my inability to tackle arts-related projects, the arts are an important part of our society, especially where STEM is concerned.

Engineering students can be known for taking a stab at arts students every once in awhile, usually something to the effect of “how are you going to get a job in [insert major here]?” There’s a misconception that arts programs are easier, they do not turn into “real” jobs, and they are unimportant. And although there seems to be this notion that the world doesn’t “need” arts like they “need” STEM, many engineering students do not realize everything that comes with being an engineer—thinking of how to solve a problem and figuring it out is only half the battle.

If you’re unable to properly convey your ideas and solutions—whether orally or written—what good is the solution in the first place? The arts are so much more than just drawing pretty pictures or writing elaborate stories—effective human interaction falls into the world of arts as well. The arts are about written reports, business meetings, and proposals. It is grant applications to do further research or to start your own company, and it is networking to make friends or mentors in your field. The arts are all of the soft skills you need in any profession to be successful. If vital communication skills fall under the arts, how could any of us say arts are not necessary? Simply put, we can’t.

And even if engineers aren’t the ones directly selling the ideas to the public, they still need people who understand what is going on so that they can communicate the engineer’s message. Instead of thinking of it as one or the other, we need to remember that we need both.

Another important point to note as well falls towards the mechanical and civil engineering fields. In those fields especially, there is constant work with 2D and 3D modeling, and although it may be more challenging in a technical aspect—because everything needs to be structurally sound and meet certain requirements—it also needs to meet aesthetic requirements.

If a mechanical engineer is designing a product, if it meets the technical requirements but lacks aesthetically, not many will want to purchase or use the product, which is the ultimate goal when designing it.

Just because you’re an engineering student does not mean you’re going to be able to—or should—avoid artistic skills. Having these skills is what will put you above and beyond the others in your program, because if you can effectively communicate your ideas, you’ll be more likely to gain other people on board who can help you. This will end up with your goals met more quickly than if you stuck by yourself.

Collaboration is key to any project.

In the end, maybe STEM should really be STEAM—science, technology, engineering, art, and math.