A recent article published by the CBC explores the idea that post-secondary graduates are no longer guaranteed stable employment with their education. According to the article, more than a quarter of Canadians between the ages of 15 and 24 are underemployed, meaning they have degrees but the positions they are employed in don’t require them.

Of course, it is information like this that scares many of us so close to graduation. While I don’t think a university degree is completely useless, I strongly believe it is not an absolute guarantee for employment—nor should we expect it to be.

The article quotes Kimberly Ellis-Hale, an instructor at Wilfrid Laurier University, who states, “With a good education, you will have a good job.” Although this is not untrue, one must think of their degree not as a guarantee, but as a prerequisite in the work force.

A university degree is much more useful—and attractive to employers—when you can demonstrate the application of your education to relevant professional experience. Jobs, co-op, student organizations, and volunteering in your industry are a great way to showcase to an employer that you are able to translate your knowledge into professional skills.

According to the article, there are more university students than ever before. The issue is that while the amount of students investing in a post-secondary education is increasing, the amount of jobs available in each industry remain finite. Therefore it is necessary that you find alternative means to stand out amongst your peers—other accomplishments, experiences, and skills that complement your degree. While students may be reluctant to taken on extracurricular obligations outside of the classroom, this experience can save you time in the long run by building your connections and boosting your résumé.

Often, the end goal students have after graduating is much like when we were younger, and would declare our dream profession—anywhere from being an engineer to an editor. All too often we are optimistic that our degrees hold a great amount of value, that will allow us to jump into our dream careers immediately. While a university education is tremendously valuable, degrees are not designed as a hall pass to entry-level and junior positions. In order to reach our end goal, we need to apply ourselves to lower-level positions, and work our way up.

Don’t let the fact that you cannot find a job in your field convince you that your degree is useless. While it may seem like a failure to not end up in your dream career right away, starting small can give new graduates applicable experience.

A student from the University of Regina stated, “If I don’t get a job in my field? Well, I am gonna keep trying.” Maybe it was easier for people to get a job with a university degree years ago, but I don’t think anything is, or ever was, guaranteed. If you’re passionate about your field of interest, you will find your way in.

– Photo by Justin Samanski-Langille