There is a lot you can say about international politics, but consistency is not one of them. Power relations change, tides of influence differ year from year, and the status quo is increasingly an afterthought. 

This is doubly true for our more militaristic neighbors, the distinct exception being that of the ever so turbulent Middle East. It is astonishing to think that, for the majority of students reading this, they have not lived in a world where American boots have not been on Middle Eastern soil. 

News that the United States struck a bargain with the Taliban to withdraw from Afghanistan comes as a pleasant shock and an apprehensive step forward towards possible peace in the region. The news also came at a critical time for the Donald Trump administration. With a re-election campaign brewing, Trump needs all the wins he can get. 

How does this recent development affect the upcoming American election, and what does it hold for the Afghan region at large? Before any of these questions can be answered, it is best to go over what has led to these negotiations.

For those who are unaware of the origins of the conflict between the United States and the Taliban, an infamous insurgent group, it can all be traced back to the year 2001.

The attack on the Twin Towers on Sept. 11 dragged the world kicking and screaming into a new, darker era. 

The Taliban succeeded in spreading terror amongst Americans in one day, and the George Bush administration was hellbent on ensuring this terror was reciprocated. 

Military deployments in both Iraq and Afghanistan were enacted with brutal efficiency, not only retaliating for the attacks on American soil but also liberating the populous of foreign lands. Forcing a victory with brutality is not a challenge. Picking up the pieces of the shattered nation is what would haunt the U.S. for the next 20 years.

Americans failed to realize the Taliban was not a typical enemy. No white flag would be raised. This was not a war of conquest, but one for their twisted version of religion. The persistence of the Taliban and lack of support—both shown by the locals and exponential costs—made this endeavor one with minimal returns. 

This is why a possible end to the Afghanistan campaign speaks volumes. While this appears to be a victory for the Americans, this withdrawal is a drawn-out, yet necessary defeat. This war has been an issue for three separate administrations. Bush started it, Barack Obama sought to end it, and Trump finally pulled the trigger. 

Americans were in this prolonged conflict and left it with little to show for. This shows they should not have been in this conflict for that long in the first place. The region is still divided, and the military and financial benefits are questionable. 

Trump is in a lose-lose situation now. Some will see this as a sign of weakness and admitting defeat. Others will see this as being too little, too late. This will probably do very little for Trump’s poll numbers. 

The withdrawal will be an expensive endeavor and the Taliban has everything to gain with the departure of American troops. More autonomy of the controlled region will be of great benefit for the insurgency. 

However, this is a necessary loss. Foreign intervention has failed to bring any positive change to the region. A step back is essential, for change can only truly come from the inside. 

For instance, the Arab Spring contributed to greater liberation within the Middle East than any number of boots on doors. 

This withdrawal is only the first of many necessary steps in the right direction. It may take years, but even the deepest boot print in the sand will be blown away by the changing winds of progress.

Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.