The killing of Trayvon Martin speaks to the systemic internalization of racism in our everyday institutions. It’s about time we stand firmly against these systems of power that oppress racialized people — in particular, folks that are from African descent.

Martin, a 17-year-old boy, was killed by a self-proclaimed neighborhood watchman named George Zimmerman. Zimmerman called police with complaints that Martin was acting “weird” or “on drugs,” according to the National Post. He later stated that he was acting in “self-defense” when he actively pursued the young teen despite instructions from 911 operators advising him against such actions. Zimmerman brought Martin into a fatal altercation that eventually cost Martin his life. Zimmerman, however, was not arrested because of his self-defense claim.

It’s no surprise to me that the facts of the case are quite controversial, specifically because Martin was a young black male. The media propagates the over-representation of young black males as “criminals” or “gangsters/thugs.”

Yet, you may be asking, what does the representation of black males in the media have to do with this young man’s murder? Well, it has everything to do with this young man’s death.

I, along with many of my racialized colleagues, am sick and tired of the systemic racism that has been left unquestioned. Martin’s case is no different than the sad and yet seemingly unheard stories of Sean Bell, Rodney King, Stephan Watts, Emmett Till and the countless other black males’ lived experiences.

These stories were tragic examples of overtly blatant racism, but what is more troubling is the racism that cannot be so easily identified. This type of institutional racism, which puts black youth at a disadvantage, is felt in the classroom, in the workplace, and in the grocery store, and is innately entrenched in every aspect of western culture and lifestyles.

Institutional racism challenges the justice that ought to be served for Martin. I am sick and tired of hearing these sad stories, and, even worse, experiencing institutional racism in my places of employment and academic settings.

Historically, racism was, and still remains, validated by a “top-down” superiority ranking, in which there’s only one predominant group of people who are above everyone else.

Amidst the riots in the Florida area and the Black Panther Party’s recent $10,000 bounty called for Zimmerman, some have criticized these actions as “reversed racism” — racialized folks discriminating against non-minorities.

Firstly, there’s no such thing as “reversed racism” because racism was historically built upon the idea that one predominant group was better than all others. Because of this, all institutions and systems in western society were built on the isolation of racialized folks.

What others mistake for “reversed racism” is, in actuality, years of built-up frustration from such marginalization, which has manifested itself into hatred. Both scenarios are horrible because they perpetuate the “us vs. them” syndrome.

So how do we move forward from this? How do we ensure innocent lives aren’t lost because of racism? Well, I believe the first step is to realize that racism isn’t something the civil rights movement or segregation eliminated.

Racism is alive, and we must be able to admit that it’s still relevant in our everyday lives now  — no matter where we live. Then, solidarity between racialized minorities must be solidified in order to stand strong against these systems of oppression.

Finally, “non-visible” folks who have historically been and continue to be in positions of privilege and power must be able to identify racist acts and hold one another accountable for them.

Perhaps, if we all can commit to these actions, true justice will be served for Martin and the many others who could not overcome racism.

Racism is an inherent evil and it will probably not be eliminated today or tomorrow, but perhaps if we all work together and stand firmly against it, future generations will not have to endure such harsh realities.

— Efua Bamfo
third-year political science