Remembrance Day is a holiday that seems to attract political discussion every year, and 2019 has been no exception. 

This is an issue that many people have never considered or thought of. However, the recent firing of sports commentator Don Cherry shows that division over how, and to what level, we should celebrate Remembrance Day is of great concern to Canadians. 

Remembrance Day tends to attract two broad criticisms: the portrayal of a “Canada the Good” narrative which assumes the righteous nature of Canadian forces, and a lack of concern for issues of racism, exclusion and the horrors of war. In short, criticism revolves around the idea of one-dimensional worship of the armed forces.

These issues are certainly of concern to Canadians and there is a time to address them, whether through political reform or social change. 

However, critics of Remembrance Day should concede that the holiday is not about them or the socio-political issues associated with our armed forces. It is about remembering those who gave everything in the service of their nation. 

Concerns, such as exclusion of Indigenous soldiers or the glorification of war, should be appropriately addressed. But doing so during a holiday made to remember fallen troops is in poor taste.

It is certainly reasonable to say certain wars which Canada and the Commonwealth have fought may have been unnecessary, or even unjust, but paying respect to our fallen soldiers is neither propaganda nor one-dimensional military worship.

Cherry’s comments have ignited a debate. Canadians need to have a conversation about the future of the country’s relationship with the armed forces. 

It’s clear that both sides of the political spectrum have an axe to grind about their dissatisfaction with exactly how Remembrance Day should be celebrated.

Conservative-minded people generally want to encourage a deepening of the holiday’s celebration, while those with more liberal leanings generally wish to raise the topic of conversation to the downsides of such celebrations. 

However, both these viewpoints are harmful to what should ultimately be a simple celebration. Remembrance Day is not about blind worship of the troops, glorification of war, or celebrating outdated narratives. Rather, it is about remembering our fallen troops, the horrors of war that they faced, and the sacrifices they made in the name of their country.

File photo.