Holidays are some of the most important times of the year. Whether it be Thanksgiving, Easter or Christmas, we make it a priority to surround ourselves with family and friends.

One holiday that our entire generation, as well as commercialism as a whole, seems to forget about falls on Nov. 11—Remembrance Day.  It shows up on our smartphone calendars, and people love getting photos with members of the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).  When it comes to actually supporting our soldiers and veterans, many people turn a blind eye.

Remembrance Day becomes overshadowed by Christmas after Halloween has passed, even though it is almost two whole months away.  We seem to forget about our soldiers, some of which were our grandparents and close family members, who have given the ultimate sacrifice for our country and for us. 

Some people speculate that Remembrance Day isn’t as widely celebrated because it isn’t a ‘happy’ holiday.  I think it’s because it is not capable of being overly commercialized, hence people don’t pay it any attention. 

Our generation likes what is made popular by the media, and Remembrance Day is excluded from this category.  People care more about Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber getting back together, rather than wearing a poppy. 

Wearing a plastic flower held together by a metal pin may seem like an insignificant thing, but it means so much to people in the CAF.  It’s a sign of respect for all that they have, and will do for our country. 

The amount of people who wear poppies is declining, and the amount of young people not wearing them is astonishing.  Many older generations say it’s because we don’t understand suffering, we didn’t grow up in a period of international tensions, whether it be a physical war or the Cold War. 

We do not seem to understand what kind of effort these soldiers and peacekeepers put forth in order to keep us safe, and their battle does not end when they come home.  Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is very common amongst returning soldiers.  They not only endure conflict overseas, but right here in Canada as well. 

Commemorative ceremonies happen all over the country—whether it be a parade at the National War Memorial here in Ottawa, or an assembly taking place at an elementary school, ceremonies are easy to find. They are simple to participate in, and braving the cold to recognize a moment of silence is a small cost to bear.

I always took the morning off to go to Remembrance Day parades downtown in my city, but I remember students at my high school feeling frustrated at the idea of taking an hour out of class to go have a school ceremony.  They would complain about how boring it was, or how it was the same thing every year.  Many students would take this time to be on their cell phones, because they valued the ideals of social media more than the sacrifices of the bravest Canadians.

Our generation needs to take a step back from our screens and be thankful for what we have.  Christmas celebrations can be pushed back until Nov. 12, after our veterans are given the respect they deserve.

Our country’s heritage should be celebrated, especially for those who are not here anymore to celebrate it with us. 

It is unacceptable for millennials to be so selfish and ignore the people responsible for why we can still call this land Canada.   

Next time you see a Christmas meme on your timeline, I hope you consider what you could be posting in support of the CAF, and people who leave their families for months at a time, and risk their lives for us. 

Instead of flaunting your new iPhone X this November, flaunt your poppies and support for the CAF.  

Photo by Meagan Casalino