Melania Trump delivered a moving speech at the Republic National Convention (RNC) July 19.

The problem? Portions of the speech were almost word-for-word a repetition of a speech given by Michelle Obama in 2008.

“Who cares?” was prominent Republican politician Newt Gingrich’s response on CNN the next morning. The Trump campaign has brushed off the scandal, only giving vague answers when questioned.

The way this incident played out shows students plagiarism only matters in academia, and public figures are immune to the consequences students face.

Carleton University describes plagiarism as “presenting, whether intentional or not, the ideas, expression of ideas or work of others as one’s own.”

Punishments for plagiarism range from failing grades to expulsion from the university altogether.

When professors or teaching assistants even suspect someone of plagiarizing in an assignment, it goes straight to the dean of the faculty. If the student is from another faculty, that dean is then informed and both deans decide who will be involved in the meeting with the student. If Melania were a Carleton student, she would —at the very least — would be meeting with a dean. Unfortunately, instead of making an academic presentation, she was speaking at the RNC.

In a world where copying someone else’s work ruins an academic career, why can’t we say the same about political or professional careers? Take a look at Globe and Mail columnist Margaret Wente, for example.

In 2012, Wente was found to have lifted words from an article published two weeks earlier in The Atlantic. Earlier this year, Wente was found to have done it again for not attributing quotes to its original author. Wente, however, is still employed by The Globe and Mail.

Sure, a student might get off with a failing grade the first time they plagiarize, but a second time? Not a chance.
If people in the “real world” like Melania or Wente aren’t held accountable, then what are the benefits of teaching students not to plagiarize?

As Donald Trump’s wife, Melania is to be the First Lady of the United States. The First Lady has no legislative power, but typically has a highly influential role on Americans, as well as her own office and staff.

Eleanor Roosevelt was an activist for the African-American civil rights movement; Jacqueline Kennedy spent time promoting and preserving American arts and history; and Michelle Obama has spent much of her time aiming to tackle childhood obesity and promoting healthy lifestyles.

Carelessness is not a word that compliments the role of a First Lady. This incident, however, gives off an air of carelessness from the could-be Trump Administration.

The speechwriter, Meredith McIver, said those words were spoken by Michelle Obama, which she’d quickly jotted down while one the phone with Melania. While McIver tried to resign after the incident, the Trumps refused it.

Though, many doubt whether McIver even exists.

Regardless of whether the speech was written for Melania in advance or if this is a cover up by Trump’s publicity team, Melania should have taken the due diligence to read over the speech beforehand.

Had she taken the extra moments out of her day to review the speech, it is likely she would have noticed the similarities to the original speech she admired so much.

Are we just going to brush it off as though Melania did nothing wrong? Probably. Will she face consequences like the ones students would if they were to plagiarize? Probably not.

Politicians aren’t known for being the most credible people, but should be held to some degree of accountability.