This past election was a nerve-wracking one. For many, it presented the opportunity for progress, or a steady decline. Many candidates were embroiled in controversy leading up to the election, including our prime minister. 

Though Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s scandals—the blackface and SNC-Lavalin ones, in particular—didn’t cost him the election, he managed to just barely squeak through, with the Liberals winning with a minority in parliament.

For many, this was a good sign. Trudeau has done a lot to advance our country, like appointing a gender-balanced cabinet and welcoming 25,000 refugees to the country.

Compared to the other candidates, he was the best choice, some say. To that, I have to ask, “But is he?” 

Is Trudeau really the prime minister this country needs? Sure, he’s done some amazing things as previously mentioned, but despite being a die-hard left-wing supporter, I lost hope in him during this election season. This was before the photos of him wearing blackface came out. 

Climate change is happening fast, and the signs cannot be ignored anymore. Day by day, we are faced with the knowledge that we are doing this to ourselves. The idea that human beings are the first species on this planet to drive themselves to extinctionand that Generation Z are the first that consider having children a moral issueshakes me to my core.

All of these “change your habits” posts on social media are great, in theory. But truth be told, no matter how many people transition to veganism over the next few years, it doesn’t change the fact that many of the issues surrounding climate change are due to the reliance we have built on fossil fuels and other industrial sectors.

Going into this election, climate change was a hot issue that needed to be addressed for many people. Stances varied from the Green Party which made it their number-one priority, to former People’s Party of Canada leader Maxime Bernier who denied there was scientific consensus on climate change. 

Much of the debate was centred around the Liberals, after Trudeau announced plans for the Trans Mountain pipeline for $4.5 billion dollars, but vowed they would use this profit to combat climate change. 

That is what really bugged me through this whole debate. How can we have a government that’s “fighting for climate change” by drilling more oil? This contradictory statement is what made me question Trudeau’s ability to take Canada forward. If we want a cleaner planet, we need to stop any and all uses of fossil fuels. 

Yes, there are many technicalities involved in doing this, and many jobs would be on the line. that would be affected as a result of moving away from non-sustainable energy sources.

But, Trudeau cannot stand there and tell Canadians, “yes, climate change is real, yes, we need to invest more into our clean energy sectors, and yes, all profits from the Trans Mountain pipeline will be invested into planting trees.” 

Sorry Trudeau, but we are well beyond the point that planting trees will help. Fact is, fossil fuels are a finite resource. There is only so much of it available and once it’s gone, it’s gone. Then, we risk running into an economic halt because much of our industries rely on the use of oil for efficiency. But when that oil is gone, what do we use then?

The Greens and the New Democratic Party vowed to immediately stop any advances on the pipeline, and to shift their focus to cleaner energy. That is the kind of focus we need: to slowly stop relying on something that we logistically cannot continue to rely on, and to begin adapting those same industries to better, sustainable energy sources. 

This pipeline is a costly move, and it’s not just about the money the Liberals would be spending on this pipeline. This affects all of us.

File photo.