Student-At-Large Anthony Valenti is seen in a Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021 portrait at Carleton University. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

Over the last two years, Carleton University has implemented the compassionate grading system (SAT/UNS) to lessen the burden that the pandemic has had on the lives of students. Now, we must look forward and reflect on the gaps in our current academic strategies. Carleton needs permanent grading reform that revolves around holistic grading and accommodating emotional challenges. Changes need to be made to accommodate changing standards in academia.

It is time that Carleton and all universities begin to reflect on the social teachings of the previous two years and develop institutions with structures that emphasize academic and personal growth. This way, universities can account for issues such as mental illness, social hurdles and changing learning methods. 

In 2020, Carleton’s Senate introduced grading measures to allow for flexibility for students during the trying times of the pandemic. In 2021, they extended these measures into the 2021-22 school year.

There is one question that has not yet received an answer: When will these special privileges end? Students will eventually be forced back into a stressful academic environment after two years of social, financial and health damages caused by COVID-19. Should this be our reality? No.

The primary body for student advocacy regarding academic concerns is the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG). CASG has launched soft attempts at rectifying the issue of course delivery and the university’s return-to-campus planning. CASG and Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) members have met with school officials and held an Instagram Live with the goal of hearing from students, which yielded constructive student feedback. 

However, we have yet to see a change in policy or statement from the university acknowledging the comments from these meetings. The core issue at hand is that the level of education students are receiving throughout the pandemic is incomparable to pre-pandemic levels, yet students are expected to produce the same quality and quantity of work. We have yet to see this problem alleviated.

Compassionate grading assists in accommodating academic limitations that far exceed the pandemic. Students struggling with poor mental health, students with chronic diseases, and students with disabilities can all benefit from a flexible grading system. With flexibility in our grading system, Carleton would be allowing greater accommodation, and allow many more students to find their post-secondary education as a time of growth and new experiences, without academic grievance.

It’s time to see meaningful changes brought forward to the university by student leaders and to see actual results aligned with the collective values and best interests of Carleton students. Student leaders should fight to keep compassionate grading alive before it’s too late.