Mayfair Theater in Old Ottawa South recently re-opened its door to public as COVID-19 restrictions were loosened, February 27th 2021 [Photo By: Spencer Colby / The Charlatan]

Smaller cinemas offer better experiences for moviegoers than their corporate counterparts. It’s time to ditch large theatre chains and instead partake in the thrill of seeing films in independent theatres.

I spent a year working for a large corporate cinema, and my time there was largely unenjoyable. Being understaffed became the norm due to the theatre’s high turnover rate. This led to students working more than 25 hours in a week, being trained improperly, and being short handed on some of the busiest nights of the year. 

Independent theatres, however, have fewer screens (the Mayfair and the ByTowne each have one), and their showtimes are more spread out. As a result, staff members are less overwhelmed when cleaning or preparing for the next rush. Moviegoers can expect a positive atmosphere at independent theatres because employees are in a healthy work environment. 

Independent theatres also tend to be more budget-friendly. An adult ticket at an Ottawa Cineplex will cost moviegoers more than $15. The same ticket at Ottawa’s ByTowne Cinema goes for approximately $11 for non-members, and even less for members. When factoring in the cost of drinks and candy, it becomes clear that independent theatre concession and ticket prices will save moviegoers a ton of money.

Small theatres are more likely to show arthouse and independent films. While they may not be as popular as the blockbusters hitting larger theatres, these lesser-known movies offer a more immersive experience. Moviegoers would never be able to throw props into the air and talk back to the screen during The Rocky Horror Picture Show at a Cineplex like they can at the Mayfair. Independent theatres offer a different kind of movie-going experience that is more inviting and thrilling than anything imaginable at a corporate chain.

Filmmakers and artists benefit when independent theatres screen their films. Independent movies are often made on a low budget, with lesser-known actors and crew. Often, these films do not have the resources for a large marketing campaign or the ability to distribute their films to large corporate cinemas, despite the quality of the work. When smaller cinemas show these movies, the hardworking actors and crew gain exposure, and their popularity can grow by word-of-mouth.

Independent theatres are more deserving of visitors’ time and money than large corporations. By visiting smaller screens more often, moviegoers can see a wider range of films and broaden their understanding of cinema.

Feature image by Spencer Colby