(File photo)

I stepped into the Senate Room in Robertson Hall for the first time July 9. I wasn’t there for the free air-conditioning or a place to use wi-fi. What really intrigued me was the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) vote on whether or not it should maintain its ban on the Canadian Blood Services (CBS) that prohibits the organization from using its space on campus.

As a regular blood donor with several years of experience in emergency medical situations, I wanted this ban removed badly.

CUSA science councillor Gina Parker brought forward a motion to repeal the ban, which was implemented to protest one of the questions CBS asks for the purpose of screening for HIV/AIDS in men. It reads: “Since 1977, have you ever had sex with another man?”

While I can see the discriminatory effects of such a question, I don’t believe this ban is the correct course of action. Sarah Cooper, the administrative coordinator of Carleton’s GLBTQ Centre for Sexual and Gender Diversity, told council during the debate session that lifting the ban would send the message that CUSA doesn’t stand by the gay community at Carleton.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

If anything, I believe repealing the ban on CBS would bring students closer together in an effort to save lives, regardless of sexual orientation.

I agree with Parker, whose plan seemed able to appease both sides: donate blood, but raise awareness about the screening question and its effects toward our LGBT students with posters and pamphlets. It seems reasonable enough to me: save some lives, and increase the exposure of the debate on this backward practice.

So what if CBS is asking a silly question? Is the life of a victim worth more than personal views?

To see a leukaemia patient go from lethargic to energetic in a matter of minutes because of someone’s blood donation convinced me to donate regularly, even if CBS is still continuing to use this outdated, homophobic screening process.

Right now, I can hear people saying, “Carleton already holds blood drives in places like the Fenn Lounge.” Yes, they do, but I don’t feel they are is well-advertised or held in places with high enough traffic to get noticed. I’ve heard about more blood drives at University of Ottawa than I have at Carleton as a full-time Carleton student.

One of the main problems with students donating, though, is not enough time in a day. The only permanent clinic in Ottawa is on Carling Avenue, which receives only limited transit service. And what if you don’t live along the bus route? You have to wait until a mobile blood clinic sets up shop in your area, and hope that it’s on a day that works for your schedule.

More frequent blood drives would allow more people to donate by giving students who are thinking of donating the time and convenience to do so. Moreover, Parker’s plan would give more exposure to this controversial question, which could get CBS re-thinking its policies.

Some of you may wonder if I’m homophobic, and I can say that I’m not. In fact, I really couldn’t care what my gay friends do with each other. And, while I can understand their frustration in this matter, saving lives trumps everything else, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, Parker’s motion was struck down by a vote of 13-11, with CUSA president Alexander Golovko abstaining. I see this ban as a detrimental policy by CUSA that limits critical thinking through the ignorance of non-donors. Now if you don’t mind, I’m going to find somewhere to cool off. Maybe that permanent CBS clinic would do – they have cookies.

Abraham Lau

3rd-year psychology and law