(File photo)

This year the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) executive has decided to implement a sexual assault campaign made by Carleton students for Carleton students. Working with both the CUSA Womyn’s Centre and Foot Patrol, we are taking a different approach to addressing issues around gender-based violence and consent. This year’s campaign is titled Consent is Sexy and it has been built to address the specific needs and unique issues that our campus faces.

In the past, CUSA has used the No Means No campaign that is provided to us by the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS). While all campaigns that combat gender-based violence are worthwhile, we think that building a campaign at Carleton from the grassroots that addresses our issues, on our terms, is far superior to having handed down to us a cookie-cutter campaign from a separate corporation.

By building our own campaigns instead of relying on others, we can not only better target our programming to Carleton students, but we can also save students money by relying on the work of our executives, staff, and volunteers instead of the near half a million dollars we pay to the CFS each year in fees.

Already this year we have seen some great initiatives from the Carleton community to address the issue of sexual violence on campus. A series of Public Service Announcements focusing on alcohol, consent, and the resources available to the community were launched at the end of August.  The Sexual Assault Services Advisory Committee is also in talks to create a campus wide campaign from the ground up.  Consent is Sexy was created to add another perspective and provide resources, engaging programming and support and solidarity for survivors of violence.

What makes Consent is Sexy stand out from other campaigns that address issues of gender-based violence is that it is proactive rather than reactive.  The intent is to open up a dialogue within the university community about what exactly it means to consent and why it is important.  We hope that by having this conversation and educating students about issues surrounding consent we can help prevent ignorance around sexual violence.

Sexual assault is defined as any form of sexual contact without both parties voluntary consent. Our programming is designed to educate students on how to (enthusiastically) say yes, while also highlighting when and where consent can or cannot be given.  The message we should be sending to students is not “no means no” but rather “anything but yes means no.”

By focusing on the sex-positive aspect of consent we hope to attract students who may not be familiar with the dialogue around gender-based violence and sexual assault.  I have found that it is often hard to engage students when the campaign messaging is focused on the negative.  Consent is Sexy does no sort of blaming or shaming.

We have also ensured that we do not ignore the more sensitive topics that come with discussions around gender-based violence.  For this we have provided “How to support a friend” workshops that educate students on how to help peers going through a tough time.

Another positive to Consent is Sexy is that is gender-inclusive and non-heteronormative.  We have a vibrant campus and we wanted to ensure that students of any sexual orientation or gender identity could identify with our messaging and events.  Any campaign that immediately alienates a group or groups of people is one that I do not believe is suitable for Carleton students.

While I agree that any campaign or initiative that aims to combat sexual violence is worthwhile, what Carleton needs are campaigns made by our students for our students.  Carleton needs campaigns that reflect, and are responsive to, the specific issues on our campus. It is in this way that we can ensure that our campaigns and the messages that we are sending are representative of all our students.  We need campaigns that Carleton students can be directly involved with and be proud of.

Consent is Sexy is just that.

Hayley Dobson,

Vice-president (student issues), Carleton University Students’ Association