Prime Minister Justin Trudeau stands during a Black Lives Matter protest on Parliament Hill on Friday, Jun. 5, 2021 in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

It has been 18 months since the death of George Floyd sparked a worldwide movement to fight for change. Eighteen months since many governing institutions were reminded of the deep-rooted racism that lies within them. Eighteen months, yet Canada’s progress towards change has been as minimal as it possibly could.

When the Black Lives Matter movement took the world by storm in response to George Floyd’s egregious murder, I felt two things. The first was anger—I couldn’t stand to see another innocent Black man brutally murdered. The second was hope—for the first time in a while, I felt that a monumental step in the right direction was occurring.

My flame of hope has since been blown out by the lack of real progress made by the Canadian government. I know that change can move slowly, but Canada is moving too slowly—so slowly that I worry it may come to a grinding halt and the momentum caused by anti-racism movements will die with it. 

This momentum will end if we do not carry it forward through education.

Yes, it is true that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government is giving up to $25 million over five years to organizations that aim to better the Black community. While uplifting the Black community is important in the fight to end inequality and racial prejudice, that alone won’t rid us of the racism that lies within many Canadian institutions.

Financial support could give more opportunities to Black Canadians and support Black-led institutions. By including more minorities in the institutions that shape our society, power dynamics become more equal.

On paper, this is a heavenly solution to a hell of an issue. But with relatively small initiatives such as Trudeau’s, it would take many generations to achieve anything. The federal initiative is neither bad nor useless. In fact, it is a step in the right direction. It’s just a step too small for a journey so long.

To make that initiative work, it will take something much larger that affects every aspect of government. One of the best ways to improve the inclusion of Black voices in our institutions is immediately amending our educational curriculum in all provinces.  

Education is one of the most vital institutions to Canada. It prepares the next generation and our future leaders to build a world we all want to live in.

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) conducted a report in June 2020 emphasizing the need for teachers, students and staff to address their implicit racial biases. It also said that institutions need to revise curricula and represent their student bodies to improve learning outcomes. 

Systemic racism is rooted in institutions and Black Canadians, along with other minorities, suffer as a consequence. If our educational institution is racist, what does that say for the future of our world?

In my final year of high school, other students and I tried to get a Black history course implemented into Ontario’s school curriculum. Although we faced many barriers, we were successful at my high school. However, a for-credit Black history course has yet to be implemented provincewide. 

Our small success demonstrates that real change is possible. If a small group of high school students can achieve it, then imagine the efforts of a committed government?

I know that educating children of all ethnicities about Black history would truly help end institutional racism. We have to know where we came from to know where we can go.

You cannot re-write the wrongs of the past. That’s over with. But you can write a better future. Canada’s government must acknowledge, own and learn from the mistakes of the past—this mentality gets the job done. Focused action on education is what will sow equality and bring my flame of hope back to life.