Influenza. Malaria. Cholera. Chickenpox. The dictionary defines these as commonly known infectious diseases. Of course, there are treatments for them with us being in the 21st century, but let me ask you this: is it accurate to classify homosexuality as a disease? According to an article posted online Aug. 29 for The Inquisitr, California is edging towards banning conversion therapy to “cure” LGBTQ adolescents. The assembly approved the bill which prohibits this therapy to children under the age of 18.

After hearing this news, I think it shows the optimism on homosexuality in modern society. However, it’s unfortunate that ignorance still stands. The point to make clear is that homosexuality is not an illness. It cannot be transferred from person to person through contact and it’s not something that is in need of a cure. Yet, in some countries, sexual orientation therapy is still practiced.

Supporters of this therapy feel like they’re suffering but members of the LGBTQ community subjected to it deal with the real distress. It’s hard enough dodging vulgar slurs, fighting through the harassment, and struggling to obtain acceptance, but forcing people to be something they are not is ridiculous.

On Aug. 28 this year, the Californian legislature assembly passed SB 1172. The bill’s sponsor, Senator Ted Lieu calls gay-cure therapy “damaging and abusive.” According to The Wall Street Journal, Governor Jerry Brown is to review it so it may pass as an official law. Equality California, a huge LGBTQ activist organization, was defended by John A. Pérez, a speaker of the assembly. On eqca.org it states, “This is one of the most important bills we have ever sponsored.” People have even been sending letters to Governor Brown encouraging him to sign.

I have to say, the involvement of a person who is in the eye of the public is important. It’s true, the arguments for and against LGBTQ rights and freedoms will always be a “hot topic” no matter what the time frame. However, I’ve noticed that over the past months, lights have really shined on the controversial issue. Famous icons and celebrities are not afraid to voice their views and opinions.

In early July, CNN news reporter Anderson Cooper made clear, “The fact is, I’m gay, always have been, always will be, and I couldn’t be any more happy, comfortable with myself, and proud,” after Entertainment Weekly, according to an article posted in The Daily Beast July 2, ran a story on the trend of “coming out” with a reserved fashion.

Around the same time, R&B singer Frank Ocean exposed his sexual orientation as bisexual. An article posted on Winnipeg Free Press revealed Ocean’s first love was a man. The confession was made through his Tumblr page in early July. An article on The Rolling Stone Music states Ocean’s response, “By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant. It was hopeless. There was no escaping, no negotiating with the feeling. No choice. It was my first love, it changed my life.”
Chuck Creekmur, the creator of streaming music website Allhiphop.com, supported the statements made by Cooper and Ocean. He claims Ocean’s announcement to be “a sign of the times.”

With all these trending news stories I think it’s safe to say that a positive exposure of homosexuality has increased. The stars and celebs backing up these human rights help reduce the fear that it is promiscuity influencing the vulnerable.

I’m glad California is taking a step towards tolerance. It takes a lot of power to stand up for equality and I hope this initiative will help broaden the minds of others. It is beside the point if one is gay, straight, bisexual, transgender, or questioning. Finding out that fact shouldn’t mean that a pandemic has sprung. It’s just another thing that makes that person different.

Sumbul Vallani,

first-year journalism