Home Opinion Opinion: Buzz around Royals coming to Canada simulates reality TV

Opinion: Buzz around Royals coming to Canada simulates reality TV

229

British Royals Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced plans to step back in their duties as prominent members of the Windsor royal family. 

By all means, the announcement was tasteful and clearly intended to state that their choice was motivated by the changing needs of Prince Harry’s growing family. The Royals have stated that Canada may be their choice of relocation, given their connection to the Commonwealth. 

However, this decision was met by outrage from a loud minority of the British and Canadian public, and a journalistic storm to catch the “latest scoop” on the Royal family’s affairs ensued. Whether you support the move or not—or even if you don’t care—the important issue to discuss here is how the Royal family is perceived.

Looking at the response that the Royals have received, it’s difficult not to liken the whole situation to the hit reality TV show Keeping Up with the Kardashians. This is by no means a new observation. Many sources have called the buzz around the Royals essentially a slightly-higher class of reality television. 

This visualization represents the move that the Windsor family has made over the last century. Being one of the last monarchies in the world, they have adopted a more open public image which preserves the monarchy through cultural engrainment. 

The similarities are clear. Any news concerning either family causes a media frenzy catering to the reality TV audience that wants to be “in on the scoop”, or literally, the “keeping up” part of Keeping Up with the Kardashians. Most importantly, the similarity lies in the fact that both families are titans in media generationas can be expected from their importance on the world stagewhether that importance be the Kardashian family’s cultural power or the Windsor family’s political power. 

Ultimately, the Royals’ decision to move to another Commonwealth country is a non-issue. It is not relevant to anyone’s life and poses no realistic political changes. Prince Harry is sixth in line to the throne, with almost a zero per cent chance of donning the purple in his lifetime, and ultimately is not a story worth discussing. 

For example, if the Queen steps down, that would warrant a media frenzy. Until then, what is there to gain from discussing such minor affairs? Who genuinely cares about the Royals moving? 

We should neither care about this announcement nor trouble ourselves with their decision. It’s easy to see why Prince Harry said it would be best for his family to step away from the spotlight. In essence, they’re forced into being reality stars by birth, not by choice.

This isn’t to say we shouldn’t care about the Royals. They are still considered by some to be an important part of our heritage and political system, which would imply that they should be treated with due importance. Whether this is the case or not, there’s no doubt that the monarchy is currently a part of our political system, and lest any changes occur, should be considered as at least a considerable factor in our governance.

That being said, we should respect their choice to step away from the limelight if that is their will. 

After all, it’s not the 15th century. The nation won’t crumble if a few Royals decide to step back from their largely ceremonial duties. But if you simply can’t get away from the Royal scoop, then at least admit that you’re just watching glorified reality TV and let the actors quit when they please.

Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.