Black History Month was supposed to be more meaningful this year, as the deaths of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Abdirahman Abdi in Ottawa and so many others illuminate how much farther we have to go.

The month-long celebration was overshadowed by the very thing that continues to force Black communities onto their knees and prevents them from fighting for their rights, celebrating triumphs and supporting each other during defeat: white resistance.

The shocking, vile attack on Capitol Hill to delay the certification of votes for an election in which Black Americans played a critical role, once again revealed the impact white resistance has on Black history. Believe it or not, white resistance is at the forefront of each and every Black story and event in history.

It’s a problem no one seems to be willing to talk about. For years, many people have failed to recognize the police as an extension of the government’s values, which is why the contrast of the police response toward Black Lives Matter protests versus the Capitol riots was shocking. 

If any leader views a minority group as a threat to the majority, the police will act to ‘protect the public,’ or in this case, further suppress minority groups.

If the increased police presence and resistance to solving issues within the Black community weren’t enough, the second acquittal of former U.S. president Donald Trump was a historic event that impaled those he unmistakably saw as unworthy—including those from so-called “shithole” countries.

During Black History Month, one could say Trump’s racist and undemocratic actions stick out like a porcupine at a nudist colony—or do they fit right in? The problem is, when you go back in history, the parallels are horrifying.

In Brown v. Board of Education, a landmark case of the U.S. Supreme Court, the decision identifying racial segregation in schools as unconstitutional was met with extreme opposition from white southerners. In fact, then Virginia Senator Harry F. Byrd organized a “massive resistance” to openly and violently oppose court orders. Byrd went as far as closing schools and entire school systems to prevent the integration of Black students.

During the impeachment trial, we’ve seen the videos of insurrectionists storming the halls and chanting to kill house members. What I can’t escape is watching African American Capitol Police officer Eugene Goodman steer rioters away from Senate chambers while rioters are heard making threats

Goodman’s reward for saving countless lives that day included standing at the back of the room during the trial, and listening to arguments that the mob were just a few bad apples. He then watched the lives he held in his hands allow the puppet master, Trump, to walk away.

The verdict was the most bipartisan vote in impeachment history, but that doesn’t erase the actions of the mob, the words of their leader and the fact that the foundation of Trump’s administration was rooted in racist and bigoted beliefs.

The power and privilege of white history has been served on a silver platter. Once again, it has been dipped in lies, sprayed with an overcoat of complacency and placed in a display cage for all to bask in its glory.

The deep division between Black and white histories has offered no reassurance or guidance towards a better future. According to history, we’re unfortunately right on track.

We cannot stand around waiting for things to change or let the fear of retaliation hold us back. Retaliation will happen, but history continues to show us persistence breeds substantial progress—so we need all hands on deck.

To truly acknowledge Black history and celebrate Black History Month, it takes the sacrifice of those who have grown up in a system that benefits them to recognize those who have been sacrificed for their privilege. We can’t make progress otherwise.

Although recognizing the contributions of Black individuals is important, the Senate’s failure to convict Trump, although disturbing and illogical, is not surprising. This year has shown us school projects and social media posts on Black trailblazers for Black History Month are not enough.

Acknowledging white resistance and discussing its root causes in age-appropriate ways would not only allow for an understanding of the importance of Black history, but it would spark a deeper appreciation for Black trailblazers. Through this, we can truly be grateful for the progress we have made during Black History Month. 

The bold evidence of society’s racial blindness should clarify a true underlying meaning of Black history: there has been, and will always be, devastating setbacks towards progress and it is white forces that continue to hold us back.

To fight for equity, equality and inclusivity has not been easy and never will be. But every Black History Month is a reminder that, as civil rights activist Asa Philip Randolph said, “Freedom is never granted; it is won.”

This year was no different.

Featured graphic by Jillian Piper.