[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Carleton University’s senate convened on Jan. 26 to deliberate the potential launch of a nursing program, the progress in the university presidential search and the anticipated impact of the newly introduced international student cap. 

New nursing program

Carleton University is preparing to introduce a new nursing program in partnership with Queensway Carleton Hospital. The program will be within the Faculty of Science, but no start date was revealed.

The science faculty board has been working on the creation of this program since its unveiling Aug. 31. 

“We can probably agree that the nursing program continues to be an important societal need to have more nurses, better supply of nurses,” said L. Pauline Rankin, the university provost and academic vice-president.

“It’s obviously an excellent opportunity for us to attract new students and it’s going to be an important source of revenue.”

Ongoing presidential search 

Interim president, Jerry Tomberlin updated the senate about the ongoing search for a new university president. Community consultations have been provided to the advisory committee to aid their search. 

“Consultations are now complete and have equipped the advisory committee with a deeper appreciation of our leadership needs and a comprehensive framework for assessing the candidates,” Tomberlin said.

Interviews with shortlisted candidates will begin in February and continue into March. 

Impact of international student cap

The minister of immigration Marc Miller, announced Jan. 22  there will be a new cap on the amount of study permits issued to international students: a limit that will mainly affect Ontario and British Columbia given the high number of international students in the two provinces. 

The policy change is expected to have implications on undergraduate international student admissions, Tomberlin said. 

“I would say we’re in a very confusing state right now,” Tomberlin said. “That’s not going to work very well for our ability to attract international students.”

Senate is scheduled to meet again on March 1.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.