The Ontario government released the 2016 budget Feb. 25, outlining plans for free and accessible education for university and college students.

Students from families who make less than $50,000 per year will receive free university and college education starting in the 2017-2018 school year through the Ontario Student Grant.

Students from families with incomes of $83,000 or less will also receive non-repayable grants “in excess of average tuition,” according to the Ministry of Finance press release.

“Most students will have less debt than they would under the current system,” the release said.

The Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP) annual level of debt won’t be higher than $10,000 for higher-income families.

Middle-and upper-income families will have easier access to interest-free and low-cost loans.

The government will still offer financial assistance to students currently struggling with post-secondary debt.

The Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance (OUSA) said in a press release they supported the changes in the budget.

“Students will receive more grants, and for many of them, tuition will be free,” said Spencer Nestico-Semianiw, OUSA’s president.

OUSA criticized the previous education funding system as “overcomplicated” and discouraging to students trying to access university or college.

“University is now more affordable, and more students will know it,” Nestico-Semianiw said. “We’re extremely proud of the advocacy we’ve done and our ability to work with the government to enact these major improvements for students.”