Nipissing University students will run "nearly naked" to raise funds and awareness for a local sexual assault centre. (Photo illustration by: Carol Kan)

Hopefully it won’t be too cold in North Bay, Ont. March 31 when Nipissing University students and alumni run nearly naked for a mile to raise clothing and money for a local sexual assault support centre.

Registration for the the Nearly Naked Mile opened March 12 and Nipissing University Student Ambassadors (NUSA) president Alicia Mossington said she’s expecting to have 200 registrants.

There has already been a lot of attention given to the edgy title, and campus security even called the organizers after the group tried to rent a table for the event, according to NUSA adviser Trina Prince.

“Now they want to get involved,” said Prince, referring to campus security’s reaction once they found out about the Nearly Naked Mile.

Despite the provocative title, participants must have bathing suit areas covered and are welcome to remain fully clothed, according to Mossington.

Mossington said she found out about the concept of Nearly Naked Mile after she attended a conference in Nashville, Tenn. The fundraiser, which takes place for a variety of charities across the United States, sees participants remove all the clothes off their own back to donate to charity before running a mile.

This is the first Nearly Naked Mile to be held in North Bay, but Mossington said she wants to make it an annual event that works more closely with the Nipissing University Alumni Association in the future.

“By running highly visible events such as this, we can gain awareness not only for our alumni and NUSA but also charitable organizations in the North Bay community,” Mossington said.

“A lack of resources is a problem that effects hundreds of individuals across Ontario,” she continued. “We believe that by bringing awareness to this great cause, we will help assist some of those in need.”

The money and clothing will go to the Amelia Rising Sexual Assault Centre of Nipissing, a local charity that runs a crisis line, provides counselling services and runs a food and clothing bank.

Sarah Wong, a first-year history student at Carleton University, said she thinks having a Nearly Naked Mile at Carleton could bring more awareness to the need for sexual assault services on campus.

“I think it sounds like an amazing fundraiser that takes a lot of strength and determination to make happen,” Wong said. “That’s very empowering and inspiring. Carleton could definitely use that energy to start their own movement.”

Based on the success of this year’s Nearly Naked Mile, Mossington said she will set a monetary goal for next year.