(Photo illustration by Oliver Sachgau)

What’s found on elementary school playgrounds might soon be seen on a university campus.

The University of British Columbia’s (UBC) student union is considering building slides in their new student union building, according to Caroline Wong, vice president of UBC’s student union.

Wong said if the slides are chosen as part of the building design, they will be one storey slides from floor to floor.

The new building, slated to be completed in August 2014, will use cutting edge technology, be environmentally friendly, and feature many other services for students including community kitchens and a daycare, Wong said.

The entire building plan, including the slides, has been a “student driven project,” Wong said in an email interview. “The slides were an idea that came from the students…during student consultations.”

The cost of the project is funded in part by the university and in part by a fee that students voted in favour of in a 2008 referendum, Wong said.

“The construction of the slides, including safety measures, will cost $50,000,” she said. “This is less than 0.0005% of the total cost of the project.”

The amount of money taken from tuition fees to pay for the slide would only cost 20 cents per student per year, Wong said.

Wong stressed that the slides are “not a priority” in the overall project.

“If our 103 million dollar project allows, we will be happy to include slides as part of the design,” she said. “We hope that students can enjoy using the slides if costs allow that they be a part of the project.”

“To have something like a slide there might relax people, it’s a cool idea,” said Charlie Sim, a third year economics student at UBC. “If you’re having a bad day and go through the slide it could make you feel happier…it should be useful [in helping students de-stress from university life].”

Arran McBride, a fourth year biochemistry/biotechnology student at Carleton, said she thinks it might be cool for Carleton to have its own slide. The slide could help reduce students’ stress levels, especially during the examination time, she said.

“There is nothing wrong with using small amounts of our tuition going towards constructing the slide,” said Arran.  “Slides still brings that excitement to everyone, no matter what age you are.”

Angie El Banna, a third year psychology student at Carleton, said she is not in favour of her tuition going towards building a slide. “This is an academic environment. Our tuition money should be spent on things directly influencing academic achievement,” said El Banna.