University of Toronto (U of T) is receiving criticism for its decision to replace the campus “mud pit” field with Astroturf in time for the 2015 Pan Am Games, according to the Toronto Star.

The world-class field hockey project was finalized last April and will cost roughly $9.5 million. Work on the field will begin in July.

The field will be for all-year use, instead of from August to November like the current field. Maintenance costs are expected to be lower, and the turf won’t need to be replaced for two decades, the Star said.

U of T English professor Alan Ackerman and 31 out of 34 members of the University College Council voted in favour of a motion to register “strong concerns” about the loss of green space on campus last fall, according to the Star.

Ackerman’s memo of “environmental, health and social concerns” brings up potential issues with artificial turf fields.

“When I walk past a field in the summer, I love to breathe the fresh air that comes off of the grass. I don’t like to breathe chemicals,” Ackerman said.

The university said it completed all required assessments with Infrastructure Ontario and the Pan Am Games. Soil and archeological assessments were required, but not a full environmental assessment.

Anita Comella, assistant dean of the faculty of kinesiology and physical education, told the Star “[Synthetic turf] is one of the top products used and internationally recognized by Field Hockey International.”