(Provided)

The Luneta Café & Bistro sets off a warm and cozy vibe, even as members Jeff Martin and Kevin Berger of NECK arrived through the front door with a blast of cold air.

Martin is the vocalist or “screamer” and guitarist for the band, while Berger is the drummer, along with fellow band member Johnny Nash. They’ve played together for two years as NECK, but have been playing in other various bands for over five years.

They said it’s important to write their music and lyrics together.

“Ultimately things are arranged by a band,” Martin said. “It’s always dumb when you see arranged by [so and so], the band arranged it.”

The Ottawa band may be new, but Berger said he was familiar with Martin’s work before they started making music together. He said Martin inspired him to start playing music.

“Some of the first shows I went to, he was playing in a band called The Neanderthal Sponge. They were a very eclectic and cool punk band, very different from all the stuff that was trendy at the time,” Berger said.

Despite looking up to The Ramones, the band said they have no aspirations to be mainstream because Martin said they prefer the closeness of smaller venues—they feel more intimate.

“We’d be so far apart of stage, I don’t like it,” he said.

And despite being a new band, being up close to the fans and the crowd has been one of their most memorable experiences.

“This one dude, halfway through the set, he’s dancing the entire time, I have no idea why but he starts stripping off his clothes, down to his birthday suit, flailing his arms,” Berger said. “It was awesome.”

But Berger said it’s not just the crazy acts that make playing live worth it. One of the most rewarding aspects is something much simpler.

“Seeing [the fans’] faces change as they react to the music,” Berger said.

Martin also said he believes Ottawa has something to do with that experience.

“Living in Ottawa, I personally find a very rich place to live, if you’re interested in playing live music . . . it’s really something,” he said.

NECK said they plan on recording some music in February 2014, and hope that by May they will have something out along with some band merchandise for sale.