Home Sports Basketball NBA player visits old Ottawa high school

NBA player visits old Ottawa high school

872

On June 4, the gymnasium filled with an excited crowd at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Russell County during a jersey retirement ceremony for Orlando Magic player, Khem Birch.

Birch once attended the school where he played for both the junior and senior basketball team in Grade nine and 10. The ceremony was held to congratulate Birch on his signing with Orlando Magic last summer and to inspire students.

His former coach, Danik Lafleur, who teaches Birch’s younger brother, was one of the staff members who got in touch with Birch with a homecoming opportunity.

“It’s been something we’ve been talking about for a long time, but it just so happens that there was a teacher retiring this year who taught Khem quite a bit . . . It was always him and I who were having the conversations about doing something for Khem,” Lafleur said.

The school retired Birch’s  Orlando Magic jersey, number 24. Lafleur coached Birch for his season in St. Thomas Aquinas.

“Khem was a phenomenal, phenomenal athlete,” Lafleur said. “His quickness to the ball and his ability to jump and grab the ball out of any situation was pretty remarkable.”

Lafleur said when he and his fellow coaches had Khem on their team, there had been moments that “they have never seen before and may never see again” in a student athlete.

“He was young when he was with us, so he was still developing his offensive game, but defence always came more natural to him,” Lafleur said.

Some students at St. Thomas Aquinas  knew who Birch was, while others did not know him, were still interested in his journey.

“It was nice to welcome him back. He hadn’t been here very long because he went to prep schools following his two years,” Lafleur said.

“I had a few conversations with him, and it’s weird because I never necessarily considered it his home. I didn’t think it mattered too much to him,” he added. “He actually made a point in saying this is the only school he would donate his jersey to, and he was really appreciative and I underestimated the impact our school had on Khem.”

However, according to Birch, the school resonates as home in many aspects. Although his time at the school was brief, it has roots to friendships he’s kept over the years.

“It felt great. It’s funny because I feel like the school’s more diverse now, and I was happy. It was an honour that they wanted to retire my jersey. No other school of mine ever asked me to do that so I felt very grateful,” Birch said.

“It’s also good to come back to where you all started, and to always give back,” he added.

Birch said he was only 13 years old when he began chasing his dream of playing in the NBA.

“It was great because just 10 years ago, I was in the same position as they were and now I’m here, so I just want them to see anyone can make it from anywhere and if you put your mind to it, you can pursue your goals,” he said.

For the students and young athletes looking to pursue dreams of making it in the big leagues, Birch advised that patience and hard work are key.

“This is something you have to be 100 per cent all in. You can’t just be 50/50 or 80/20. It has to be 100 per cent, because there are millions of other kids trying to pursue the same dreams. You have to be really dedicated and can’t be half fast into it,” he said.