The Ravens men’s hockey team has recently signed forward Jake Smith to their team.

Smith has played in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League with the Acadie Bathurst Titan, Chicoutimi Sagueneens, and the Val-d’Or Foreurs. Most recently, he played in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) with the Windsor Spitfires.

Last year, while part of the Spitfires, Smith recorded 20 goals and 28 assists while appearing in 59 games.

“Playing for Windsor was unbelievable. Finishing there as a 20-year-old was really good. They treated me amazing, they treat all their players like they’re a pro,” Smith said.

“They run it like a pro organization and that’s what they want to be known for, so to finish off there with the year I had, I was very happy. It’s sad moving forward, but I’m excited to come to Carleton,” he said about his experience playing for the Spitfires.

Smith said he considers himself to be a very offensive player who makes a lot of plays and likes to have the puck on his stick, and is looking forward to adding his offence to the Ravens lineup.

“Carleton’s got a good past of moving players forward to pro hockey. They’ve got two phenomenal coaches,” he said. “I’ve met Shaun Van Allen and Mark Cavallin, and those guys have just been unbelievable.”

Smith also talked about the process of choosing Carleton for hockey.

“They were actually the first school that talked to me, and continued to talk to me when other schools would too, and spending the day in Ottawa, I knew it was the right fit. And I know they need a top six forward and a player that can help bring a competitive edge and some scoring and that’s what I was looking at,” Smith said.

He said he is looking forward to joining the team, and creating new relationships.

“When you play hockey, you’re always with a group of brothers, and it’s good to be moving forward and meeting a whole new group of other guys, live on our own. Obviously you’re going to be together a lot more, but it’s going to be fun,” Smith said.

He also shared his thoughts on the transition to Carleton and what it’s going to be like going from an OHL team to a university team.

“CIS hockey has a lot of ex-OHL players and older players and high energy players so it’s gonna be a very fast, physical league,” Smith said.

“I haven’t seen a game, I haven’t watched a game,” he added. “But I know going into it, I’m just going to bring it my all and play my style of game, and I know I’m pretty sure I’ll do well if I do that.”

Photo by Tim Jarrold/In Play! Magazine