I haven’t washed my hair in over a year.

You heard me. Head and Shoulders or Herbal Essences haven’t touched my head in a year, and they never will again. I quit using shampoo, but I still have alternative ways of washing my hair that are better for it. My hair has never been healthier.

The problem with shampoo is that your hair can get addicted to it. Every person has natural sebum produced by the scalp that is good for hair, but each day you remove it with shampoo. This causes the scalp to produce sebum too rapidly, making hair greasier faster and forcing you to use shampoo again.

There are many reasons I decided to stop using shampoo. The first would be for growth. My hair has never grown past my shoulders and since quitting shampoo, it’s grown longer than ever before.

I used to notice that I washed my hair every single day, yet no matter what, at the end of the night my hair didn’t have as much volume or shine as it had when I first washed it. When I read that it was possible to not wash your hair yet have it still look great, I had to give it a shot.

The movement is called “no-poo,” and people across the world are trying it out.

It isn’t easy, though. Quitting shampoo requires determination and some creativity. Out of common interest, Facebook groups and forums have sprung up for people to share their personal experiences and ask for guidance. The one I belong to has increased by over 10,000 members since I originally joined less than a year ago.

There is tons of experimentation that comes with it because every person’s hair is different. I won’t get into the chemical qualities and differences between hair types right now, but what works for one person can have a completely different result for another. The water quality in the area you live in also has a huge impact on what wash techniques work better.

I’ve tried many alternatives which have all have had varying degrees of success.

The first thing I tried was the most common “no-poo” go-to. It’s a baking soda wash followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse. I know that brings up many questions, but I promise you, your hair does not smell like vinegar after it’s been rinsed out. I found this was a little harsh on my hair, so eventually I bought Dr. Bronner’s Castile Oil Soap. It’s an all-purpose natural soap that was unfortunately also harsh on my hair.

Next I tried using green clay, which looked like a face mask on my head. I really liked this method, except it was a little messy.

Right now, I like to do acid rinses, which includes tea, vinegar, coffee, and aloe. For most of these rinses, the proportions vary depending on the person, but it’s generally around 1/4 cup of the acid to 3/4 cups of water. You make the mixture in a bottle, then pour it on your head and massage into your scalp. Some people choose not to rinse it out, but I do.

The best part about acid rinses is being able to personalize them depending on what you want. Lemon to lighten the hair, coffee to darken it. Vinegar to moisturize or simply something to make my hair smell nice.

Some people choose to only use water and pull away dirt and debris with a cloth. I might try this eventually, but every transition takes time. I choose different things depending on what I think my hair needs, whether it be protein or moisture.

“No-poo” isn’t for everyone, but it’s definitely rewarding and even a little fun.