Photo by Anita Rayegani.

As the temperature drops, chapped lips and cracked hands are on the rise. With winter settling in, the air is drying out and stealing any remaining moisture from your skin and hair. But it isn’t hard to combat the cold—you just have to know how.

Switch up your beauty routine

You’re probably going to need to switch up your regular beauty routine. The first step should be shampooing less and using colder water. Shampoo and hot water both remove natural moisturizing oils from your skin that are there to protect you from the winter cold. Try to add an extra day between shampoos.

If you use an exfoliating cleanser, switch it up for a cream one that will be less harsh on dry skin. If you need to exfoliate, try mixing olive oil with sugar or Epsom salts for a gentle and natural scrub.

If your skin and hair are still dry, you may want to try a weekly deep conditioning mask. There are many recipes online, but the most simple and effective hair conditioning treatment is applying unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil for up to an hour. Coconut oil is hard to get out, so you’ll have to shampoo in the end and rinse with cool water.

After every shower, don’t forget to moisturize your skin. Coconut oil is multi-purpose, and also a great natural skin moisturizer. Remember to be careful about what products you use.

Watch your products

There are so many products on the market, and it’s important to read the ingredients. When you buy a moisturizer, find one with beeswax, coconut oil, jojoba oil, shea butter, or argan oil high on the ingredients list.

Remember to check for these ingredients in your chapsticks too. Many lip balms on the market lubricate the lips but don’t hydrate. They actually seal moisture out and prevent the lips from healing.

When shopping for products, avoid anything with alcohol in it. The alcohol will dry out the skin and hair even more.

Everything you absorb matters

The food you eat matters just as much as the products you choose. It’s important to drink water to keep your body hydrated. If you don’t absorb enough moisture, your skin and hair will feel it first.

Omega-3 fatty acid is commonly found in fish and helps give hair and skin a healthy glow. Try eating more salmon, tuna, and spinach and you’ll see a change in your body.

Another important, yet painful, step is getting rid of caffeine. It dries your skin out even more than it dehydrates you. While it may be hard with exam season approaching, try drinking herbal tea instead.

And finally, if your skin and hair is still suffering from the winter weather, try out a humidifier at home. It’ll add moisture to the air and maintain a healthy humidity level.