Players from Dalhousie University and University of Victoria scramble to regain possession of the ball during a consolation final game between the University of Victoria and Dalhousie University at the Saville Community Sports Centre at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Alta. on Sunday, April 3, 2022 during the 2022 U Sports men’s basketball national championship. [Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The career of Dalhousie Tigers guard Alex Carson is illustrious. Across five seasons, Carson has played over 2,000 minutes and sits sixth in program history for points scored. No Tiger has ever scored more than Carson’s 196 three-pointers. Only one player has a higher free-throw percentage.

Carson’s Dalhousie career came to an end on Sunday, when the Tigers beat the University of Victoria Vikes 98-72 in the consolation final of the U Sports men’s basketball national championship in Edmonton, Alta.

Dalhousie won thanks to big runs. Over a five minute span in the first quarter, the Tigers went on a 16-2 run, and in the third quarter, they used foul after foul to widen their lead.

Carson, a rock for Dalhousie since 2016, has seen the program make four trips to nationals and win a bronze and silver medal. He has won three Atlantic University Sport championships and 78 regular season games.

When he left Sunday’s game with 1:57 left on the clock, his family, sitting halfway up the bleachers, stood and cheered. After the game, Carson immediately ran up the stairs to hug them.

“I wouldn’t be here without any of them,” Carson said. “They come everywhere we go … They’re here right now in Edmonton at a one o’clock consolation final. They don’t miss any games, so I love them.”

Sunday was also Carson’s grandma Diane’s 73rd birthday. She asked him for a performance like he put up on Saturday—29 points, including six three-pointers.

“I wouldn’t say I had quite the game as yesterday, but I’m sure she’s happy with the win,” Carson said. “I think she’ll take that as a birthday gift.”

It was also the final university game for guard Keevan Veinot. Veinot, a Tiger since 2017, scored a game-high 30 points on Sunday in addition to eight rebounds.

“It’s been a privilege and an honour to coach two super kids like that,” Dalhousie head coach Rick Plato said. “It makes my job easy. They make me look like a good coach. I love them both.”

Carson said he thinks he’ll keep playing but hasn’t made a decision about his future yet. With Veinot and Carson moving on, it’s the end of an era for Dalhousie basketball.

Plato has been in this position before. After the 2016-17 season, when the Tigers won the national bronze medal but stars Kashrell Lawrence and Ritchie Kanza Mata graduated, there were questions over the program’s future.

“But then we got our next group in and they continued that [success],” Plato said. “I’m hopeful that … we’re gonna carry it on, that we’re gonna be back to next year’s national tournament.”

Featured image by Spencer Colby.